AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Considering an AK in 5.56 on down the line, simply because I've got so much ammo in that caliber laying around to feed my Black Rifles. The Arsenal SAM-5s are the cream of the crop, but way too pricey for my tastes, and hard to find. Vepr IIs are nice, but too heavy. That leaves the Romies. I've seen several references to the SAR-3s and WASR-3s "having problems" but never anything specific. I'm aware of the hammer-geometry issue in the SAR-3s and the appropriate fix (swap in a RSA hammer). What are some of the other known problems and remedies you've encountered in these models?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
shooter521 said:
Hey all!

Considering an AK in 5.56 on down the line, simply because I've got so much ammo in that caliber laying around to feed my Black Rifles. The Arsenal SAM-5s are the cream of the crop, but way too pricey for my tastes, and hard to find. Vepr IIs are nice, but too heavy. That leaves the Romies. I've seen several references to the SAR-3s and WASR-3s "having problems" but never anything specific. I'm aware of the hammer-geometry issue in the SAR-3s and the appropriate fix (swap in a RSA hammer). What are some of the other known problems and remedies you've encountered in these models?

Thanks!
I haven't encountered any(damn Ca to hell) but I've heard that most of the mags are utter crap, and that they have alot of feeding issues

·
Registered
368 Posts
The new WASR 3 has a G2 FCG, 90 degree gas tube and a little better quality than the others. The main problem Ive found is mags....use metal Wieger or test red bakelite .223 to see that they work. Ive had my bolt ride up over a round because of the mags. Find good working mags and theres no problems.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Dieter122 said:
OldTroop said:
The new WASR 3 has a G2 FCG, 90 degree gas tube and a little better quality than the others. The main problem Ive found is mags....use metal Wieger or test red bakelite .223 to see that they work. Ive had my bolt ride up over a round because of the mags. Find good working mags and theres no problems.
my SAR3 has a 90degree gas tube... thats standard i think

ya the WASR3s have 90 degree gas tubes from what ive seen, which was a surprise to many.... i think it looks so much better
Gas Chambers :wink:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Get a SAR-3..they are out there.

Just my 0.02.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Metal Wieger German mags.......

OK...took the WASR3 out for the second time.......I was using 4 new Wieger metal mags and they ran like a champ...absolutely no problems with the gun or mags. I had a bunch of the red bakelite mags that were supposed to be .223(followers) well after close inspection 4 of them were 5.45 followers and didnt work worth shit in the WASR......next I have 3 red bakelites that the floor plates are marked .223 and the followers are .223. They jamed a few times. Im going to get 4 more metal Wiegers and Im set. Gun ran great, nice trigger. So for those of you having loading and jamming problems...go to metal Wiegers and your troubles are over. I almost was gonna sell the gun now Im glad I kept it. I also have a Norinco preban 84S in .223 but with Chinese mags those things work like champs too.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
One of the things I have found that 'helps' the bakelite and poly 74 mags is hitting the inside of the mags with a dremmel sanding drum to remove the very small bumps in there so the 223 shoulders can move forward. While the 5.45 and 5.56 rounds are similar, the shoulders of the rounds are WAY different. This combined with the followers from Robinson Arms works wonder for my mags. This does NOT work with the 45 rounders though! The geometry will not work with them. You will get a bolt over every time.

Yes I also use Weigers, but I really like the weight of the poly mags.

This may be heresy to some but the 5.56 Bulgarian Waffles can be modified to work in the Chinese 5.56 AK's. At least the 15 I have can. Nothing like a horseing rasp to modify mags.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Do the WASR 2/3's have a scope rail on them?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does anyone have an AR15 mag adapter? How did the AR mags work?

Wondering because I might have a chance to buy an adapter.

·
Registered
232 Posts
KyAKGuy said:
convert a Saiga

KyAKGuy
What is involved in converting a Saiga?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
No AR mag can be converted, without considerable machineing. The AR-15 mags do not even have latches, there is a hole in the right side of the mag that engages the mag catch inside the well.

So, to convert it to work in an AK, you would have to machine AK mag catches and then weld them to the AR mag, then hand-fit each one to your AK. Even then, you have the hole in the side of the mag that doesn't look right. Not worth it.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
What Kalahnikid is talking about is the adaptor the Israelis made to use AR mags in the Galil. Nothing has to be done to the mags as the adaptor fits into the mag well instead of a mag and has the catch to use the AR mag in the weapon. While 'purist' may not like them, they work and allow AR mags to work in an AK. At least AR mags are easier to get than 223 Waffle mags. Thing is they are hard to find in original condition and are expensive when you do find them. The adaptors he is talking about are unfinished and are cheap. I am getting one also to try on a Chinese 223 AK.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Curious... anyone have a pic of this adapter? I'd like to see it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts