AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will valmet mags work in the SAR 3? Curiou because I might have a line on several.

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
Valmet 556 mags will not fit a SAR-3, Norinco 84s, or Bulgy SAM-5 without extensive grinding / modification. Different pattern.

I wish they did (fit any of them). I had a line on a 10-pack of 35-round mags dirt cheap. They might fit the Poly 556 rifles but they are pretty rare.

My SAR-3 likes East German Weigers and the converted follower AK-74 Bakelite mags just fine and they are pretty cheap.

·
Super Moderator
10,317 Posts
Chinook said:
Will valmet mags work in the SAR 3? Curiou because I might have a line on several.

Thanks
You have a Valmet? Market on Valmet mags is around $100. That can almost get you 5-6 Weigers for that scratch.

FWIW, I had to modify the backstrap and rear locking lug to get Weiger to lock in my Valmet. never did try to see if Valmet mags worked in a SAR-3. Do not have the Valmet anymore to even see. :sad:

Hootbro

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bradley5050 said:
Valmet 556 mags will not fit a SAR-3, Norinco 84s, or Bulgy SAM-5 without extensive grinding / modification. Different pattern...............My SAR-3 likes East German Weigers and the converted follower AK-74 Bakelite mags just fine and they are pretty cheap.
FWIW, the bakelite 5.45x39mm mags modify easily -via a Robinson Arms replacement follower, or my choice, a little dremel work inside the mag body to raise the follower about 1/4", and, get the front of the follower horizonal.

They work in the Sar-3 and the Norinco 84S. A little minor fitting where the feed lips may drag on the bolt may required, per some reports. I have not had to do such to fit them in my Norinco.

Once "converted", they are very reliable.

The choice of mags for a Sar-3 between the metal E.G .223 mags and the bakelites to convert, just depends on what is cheapest and available.

Lollygagger :smile:

P.S. -BTW, the weiger mags do NOT work in a Norinco 84S period...unless you want to start widening the receiver mag well front.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lollygagger said:
Bradley5050 said:
The choice of mags for a Sar-3 between the metal E.G .223 mags and the bakelites to convert, just depends on what is cheapest and available.
I disagree. My preferred choice for SAR3 mags are the Bulgarian Waffles and the Polish Beryl magazines. All it takes to get those running is filing down the center support a hair to allow the mags to insert. That way you don't have to worry about modifing each magazine to fit. Modify the rifle once and all waffles and beryls fit.

DW

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 10 of the weigers and 1 bakelite. I have russian plum furniture on it and once I get my threaded FSB, I am gonna have the whole thing Gunkoted. I will probably do the same thing to the weigers, or used a flat black engine paint. I am getting two Russian plum mags that I am gonna try to convert like the bakelites. I'll let you know how they turn out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts