AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Norsesmithy said:
Since when is the 5.45 Saiga no longer imported?

Several major online retailers still have them in stock...

I've called them all (out of stock) and the factory, they are no longer imported.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that target posted above sucks (are those 1" squares.)

· Banned
4,026 Posts
Katar man is absolutely correct. that is perfectly acceptable for a stock AK to do off a bench with irons. In fact i think its good shooting!

take a look at the pattern- a well placed 2.5 inch group with a flier. I imagine the 2 first shots were placed inferior and elevation has been adjusted.

I also used to be all crazy gun how about AK accuracy.

outside competition.... Not anymore. Practical..Can you place consistent hits off hand @ man size target up to 300 meters? good enough. Use it like it supposed to be. In battle all that BS about 1 moa vs 2 moa is out the window anyway.

· Registered
3,162 Posts
voron said:
outside competition.... Not anymore. Practical..Can you place consistent hits off hand @ man size target up to 300 meters? good enough. Use it like it supposed to be. In battle all that BS about 1 moa vs 2 moa is out the window anyway.
It's also very hard to drag a shooting bench and bags of lead shot around when you want to make that perfect shot :wink:

· Registered
1,782 Posts
Thats why i said LOW LIGHT as well.

Try shooting 100yds with black metal iron sights when the sun has set and its getting dark. Big strain on the eyes.

also, the 74 flash hider does have slop in it and disrupt barrel harmomics, if the SAR-2 were not threaded and had a flat barrel with no device at the end, the group would be a bit better. But as its a military rifle, I want it with the flash hider, regardless of accuracy.

The ammo is not match grade, its Bulgarian 80s era. With properly loaded ammo I am sure the group would be a lot nicer.

And it was off a bench, not in a vice with lead sled and straps holding it down.

Considering that, I think its a pretty nice group for a $250 rifle and 9cents/rd ammo. (well, I spent another $50 on the flash hider and front sight later and added furniture).

· Banned
4,026 Posts
good shootin Remy! :animak:

· Registered
1,782 Posts
Thanks droog! I can shoot ok if I don't have a large Starbucks before the range.

Otherwise its a shaky endeavor.

My bulgarian AK-74s shoot a tad better with bulgarian ammo. But the Romanian does a good job for its price.

In either case, its essential to use teflon tape and make the flash hider tight on the threads so there is less wobble.

· Registered
166 Posts
regal said:
Norsesmithy said:
Since when is the 5.45 Saiga no longer imported?

Several major online retailers still have them in stock...

I've called them all (out of stock) and the factory, they are no longer imported.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that target posted above sucks (are those 1" squares.)
Did you try Classic Arms?

They've still got them listed.

With regards to accuracy, I know I'm spoiled, speaking as an AR guy who's only AK is a Milled Arsenal gun (SA M-5R), but that target looks acceptable to me, assuming it was shot off hand. That isn't to say that I, personally, would be happy with it, but that it is totally in line with what I expect from the average person I've shot with (and not just talking about newbies), even with rifles that I know will shoot a sub 1 inch 30 round group at 100 yards, from a bench rest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.