AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got my first AK last night, an SAR-1. It came with a 30rd mag of mysterious origin (I have no idea what it might be, it's not marked) and a likewise nameless 10rder.

I see all sorts of mag packages, origins and materials, so unlike AR mags where I just keep buying PMags with some GI mags on the side, I have no freakin' idea what to get!

Requirements:

Budget-friendly
Durable (metal or polymer, I like both)
Reliable

While I realise those are pretty much standard AK traits, is there a specific magazine that's going to run better in my rifle? One would assume Romanian would be a good starting place, but assume makes an ass out of u and me both. Well just me, I'll be the one cursing and clearing jams while y'all laugh and point and whip peanuts at my head :)

Current probable buy (pre-advice making me realise what a fool I've been!):

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AK_R ... azine.html
Also available in Bulgarian and new spicy Hungarian flavours at the same price!

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Well, if you figure every AK47/AKM had 4 mags made for it, you've got 240,000,000 to choose from.

Any military AK47/AKM mag will work fine.

Stay away from US made (or made for commercial sales [Bulgarian bullet mags, for instance]) stuff.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lucked out, a friend of mine has 5 mags and a 4-cell mag pouch he's letting me have for a good price.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Bit of info: Don't pay more than $10 each for steel 30 round mags unless they have collector value to you.

Hungarian mags are $9 at AIM Surplus. They also get Romanian mags in and out of stock for $8-9 each. Copes has 5 Hungarian mags in a pouch for $44.97. Plus- and this is the shocker- at gun shows around here I can buy them new for $9.

Do not buy any Bulgarian polymer magazine unless it is a waffle pattern design. Do not buy any steel US made magazines.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the tips guys!

I have yet to test my first batch of mags, but I think I'm good for now as if I have any more carrying them is gonna suck :)

Right now I've got six assorted steel 30rd mags, one 10rd mag (came with the rifle) and a Master Molder mag I got as part of a batch of parts for a build before I realised I was going to go furniture for compliance.

Of course now my AR is sulking and wants another batch of Pmags.....

·
Registered
696 Posts
I guess the general consensus is:

$10 for 30, steel is best, avoid anything US

Whats a good price for good 40rounders, and be just as reliable?

Think its easier to list mags you shouldn't buy... shorter list!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah everything ran through fine last weekend, even the US polymer mag dumped as fast as I could bring the muzzle back on target.

Think I might have to get another batch of mags though, just to make it an even dozen.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts