AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,651 Posts
I think most guys use 80 grit aluminum oxide as media and dissassemble and Blast away...go easy on bolt/lug mating surface and boltface areas. If you blast the bolt disassemble it as grit will get in the internals...might want to plug the barrel.

Then parkerize, paint or whatever.

· Registered
5,054 Posts
best to disassemble the bolt and recoil assembly. use high pressure air to remove the media from the trigger guard and other areas (wear safety glasses!).

· Banned
708 Posts
Quickcrete screened and dried play sand. 2.50 a 50Lb bag at Homedepot. Gives a nice aggressive texture and is cheap as dirt...well, CHEAPER than dirt at HOmedepot. LOL

· Registered
1,651 Posts
I use some stuff from Menards it is a sandblast media silica free, about like black beauty media I think it was around $7.00 for a 40# bag....cuts great leaves a nice coarse finish.

Using regular sand is a bad idea...look up Silicosis...

Silicosis, also known as Potter's rot, is a form of occupational lung disease caused by inhalation of crystalline silica dust.

· Registered
222 Posts
BadBrad said:
I use some stuff from Menards it is a sandblast media silica free, about like black beauty media I think it was around $7.00 for a 40# bag....cuts great leaves a nice coarse finish.

Using regular sand is a bad idea...look up Silicosis...

Silicosis, also known as Potter's rot, is a form of occupational lung disease caused by inhalation of crystalline silica dust.
Yep, silicosis is similar to asbestosis in some ways and is not good. it is for the most part banned in industrial applications due to its dangers. But, like you said, it is an occupational related illness stemming from long term occupational exposure. My company does a good deal of blasting and industrial coating application, and we prohibit silica sand for this reason. We normally use Black Beauty which is good for our uses but it tends to leave a fairly aggressive anchor pattern so it really depends on what coating you plan to use.

But, honestly, for a single use application, and if proper respiratory precautions are taken, play sand really isn't that dangerous. Do use a good particulate repiratory filter, be careful where the dust blows and settles out and wash down the area after use. Be even better if you built a home made blast cabinet so you could contain the dust. If doing a lot of blasting I wouldn't use it, but for one rifle, once in a blue moon I wouldn't worry about it. It is cheap and easy to find.

Other ideas I've read about but never tried myself, and to obtain a softer matte sheen, is baking soda, and even sugar. Not good for coatings but mainly for giving SS a more frosted appearance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.