AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share a little experience just now.

First off, this instructable was extremely helpful for me. I've never done a saltwater etch, though I've done plenty of chemical etches. Salt Water Metal Etching

He recommends a 1:1 ratio for tablespoons of salt to cups of water. I used about 4 tablespoons of salt to one cup of water. Add more salt for a quicker etch. You can also use a stronger power source of course to quicken the etch. I'm not an expert or even a novice here since this was, again, my first salt water etch. However I've read online that you can use a power source around 12V and 5-10A output. Do your own research if you decide to go this route.

That being said, this is how my etch turned out. I'm super happy with it despite some imperfections. It's probably around 0.01" deep, which is plenty deep for paint and wax so the letter/numbers stand out. Oh, I used blue transfer paper for the resist too by the way. I filled in gaps with cheap nail polish my wife loaned me. If you don't know what blue transfer paper is you should Google it. It works great most of the time.

If you can guess the "language" here you'll get a smile from me. That's all I can afford.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Salt ratio, exposed surface area, wetness, and amperage are all factors in how long it takes to etch. It's hard to write instruction when there are so many variables.

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
77 Posts
Is that hobo signs?

Reactions: lopojo

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Norse - Scandinavian ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Damn! That is cool as hell! I wonder what a car battery would do. LMAO, just joking. I'm gonna try that on one of the knives I've made! Thanks

·
Registered
22,270 Posts
Urdu with a dash of Chinese? I didn't do a deep dive on the symbols, but that's about as good as I got with casual interest.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well searching it online isn't guessing, but yes that is correct.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wasn't even aware fururama had its own alphabet...
My lead was it could be the language of the predator homeworld.

And searching for predator language made google show the futurama stuff. w-t-f.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, I'll be... Nerds... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts