AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think I have settled on how I want this rifle. This was the first AK in my collection, I bought it already converted , I never liked the original handgaurd and Tapco stock that was on it. I have since put the rail on it, "clubfoot" stock and threaded the barrel to add the AMD muzzle device. I will probhably weld the extra holes in the reciever and coat the entire gun....someday. The pistol grip looks a little too Batman for me, but it's comfy, so it will stay. I need to come up with a sling for it , but other than that it's done.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sweet. Mine is coming along and I need to thread the barrel, needing some help w/that.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Threading the barrel wasn't bad at all, just go slow. Is yours a Saiga too? I used a tubing cutter to remove aprox. 5/8 of the shroud that covers the end of the barrel. That measurement may be different depending on how deep the threaded portion of the brake is. I watched a vid on You tube on how to do it, remember to make sure the threading guide doesn't bottom out when you start to thread or it will rip the first couple of threads off, watch the vids and learn from other peoples mistakes :). Good luck.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
You could also install a 74 style front sight base that has the 24mm threads on it for the 74 style muzzlebrake, much easier and more appropriate then threading the barrel on a AK-100 based rifle. With a 74 style FSB you would be going a long way to making the Saiga back into (or close to) an AK-103.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine is a Saiga 5.45x39. Tube cutter.......... Hmmmmm ! Cost of FSB is appox.$90/98 + shipping. Saiga FSB id staked on, weird.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Mine is a Saiga 5.45x39. Tube cutter.......... Hmmmmm ! Cost of FSB is appox.$90/98 + shipping. Saiga FSB id staked on, weird.
AK-74 FSBs are on this Forum for sale all the time for around $45, The build sections show you how simple it is to deal with the press punch dimples and pinning on a new FSB etc. A 5.45 Saiga can be made into an AK-74 very easily and it is the correct configuration for such weapon, once you fire the 5.45 with the correct AK-74 muzzlebrake you will be glad you installed the right parts.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I went the inexpensive route with this one, the lack of receiver dimples is a real boner killer for me, otherwise I would have went the with new pressed on parts. I bought a used threading outfit from a member here for $38, used it then sold it to another member for $38, I had the $5 AMD brake already and I think it looks the best on it. It wasn't a traditional looking AK to begin with, it's a good shooter though. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bought a tube cutter for $17. at Lowe's. Cut off one cap and the damn thing broke on the second cap. Beware those plastic framed tube cutters. I went with the small one so I could get closer to the FSB. Finished the job with a metal framed small tube cutter. Be buying a thread cutting die and spud in a few days.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They turned out good, what brake are you using on the bottom one? I made a copper washer to put between the brake and the FSB to fill in the gap, CNC Warrior sells crush washers also. I have a 74 style brake on my WASR and really like it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They turned out good, what brake are you using on the bottom one? I made a copper washer to put between the brake and the FSB to fill in the gap, CNC Warrior sells crush washers also. I have a 74 style brake on my WASR and really like it.
Bottom one has a Damage industries brake on it. Yes I did use a crush washer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DM Saiga AK47 - 1.jpg
Completed my first ever Saiga make-over this afternoon. I can't wait to get some range time and give-er a whirl...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think these are the best AK rifles to modify. I have done a lot with mine that I wouldn't try with my other AK's. I use it to try different stocks and grips and mags. I've polished the fire control group and bolt/carrier and turned it into a fun shooter...... I found mine at a LGS that I frequent.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Found my Dremel tool set at last. Bought the new Dremel quick connect cutting disk set and cut off the remaining barrel sleeve. Now have .900" of threads. Moves the brakes .400" close to FSB. But new AMD brake only has .670 internal thread depth as there is a inner shoulder stopping the threads. That leaves approx. .300 " of threads showing ! So on to other brakes.

350 x 262 pix.jpg

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've wondered if a regular akm front sight block could be used to replace the Saiga one would be a better option. I'll keep an eye out for a brake with more threads, maybe CNC warrior could make a custom one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
All my other brakes, Damage Industries and Tapco Razr and AK74 type have 1" or more threads. The only one that doesn't is the Tapco AMD for some odd reason ??

I see that your AMD brake is different from the Tapco AMD, what brand is it ??

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's an original AMD-65 brake. AK builder has some for sale. When I threaded my barrel it was the one I planned using on it, so when it threaded on I called it good. Sadly it is the only one that fits, I should have taken another pass with the threading tool. None of my U.S. brakes fit.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had the same issue after threading so I kept tightening the screws to collapse/tighten the die and made more passes. Worked OK.

Thanks for the tip at AK builder !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts