AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct that these are the three areas that need to be modified in order for the Saiga magazine to function in a standard 7.62 rifle, ie, build up the locking lug, raise the front lug, and remove the built in feed ramp?

I thought this had been addressed once before and did a search and could not find it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well...

I do the reverse of what you are inquiring about.

But, I think the only real issue is to build up the rear latch tab, as it is purposely made shorter than a standard AK mag.

Everything else should work. The top front of the mag serves as the bullet guide -you would not need it with a AK that has the standard bullet guide in the action, but it should work th same.

I'm curious, why don't you just use AK mags? If you want a shorty, one of the chinese 5 round mags should be easy & cheap to find...and modifiy to use 10 rounds easily (there were originally designed as 10 rounders).
I modify the short AK mags for use in a Saiga.

The Saiga mag is worth a bit more, to just use it as a shorty in a AK.

BTW, the Bulgie 10 round short "waffles" are very nice!

LG :neutral:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 30 round mag, initially I obtained three of them (just wanted one) to use with my 103 build (at least for photographic purposes), but then I received a ribbed magazine from France (cheap, deact of course) which is what I wanted in the first place. I would just like to use the slab sided ones with the rifle if modification is feasible, but then if they are worth more to a Saiga owner, I would just as soon sell two of them.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
cmutka said:
Am I correct that these are the three areas that need to be modified in order for the Saiga magazine to function in a standard 7.62 rifle, ie, build up the locking lug, raise the front lug, and remove the built in feed ramp?

I thought this had been addressed once before and did a search and could not find it.
You don't need to do anything at all to the front locking lug.

You don't need to whack the feed ramp, just file off a little bit at a time, until it just works in the standard Kalashnikov and just works in the Saiga.

Same with the rear lug. Grind just a tiny bit at a time so they'll work in both types of rifle.

These will allow you to use them in both Saigas and regular AKs.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Those are rare. Only a few were imported before ATF decided not to allow them. Id put them up for auction. They are the real thing made at the same factory as the rifles. They have the metal parts like the latest Russian mags, the polymer mags made here do not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts