AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. What is your thoughts on a Saiga IZ132 LEGION Russia? I have one and seems to be more desirable than other Saiga's. Any reason as to why? I'm contemplating seeing if I can do a trade with someone looking for one of these. In trade, I'd really like a 5.56 AK in a hunter form as I'm in a restricted state. Anyways, regardless of wanting to trade. Why are these desirable? Any info would be great. I'll take a pic. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
post full config pic. i.e. entire rifle
at some point legion imported a number of saigas with semi-sporting config. THOSE are more desirable not just any legion-import across the board.
let's see what you got. if it's a plane-jane full-sporter rifle then it's not that special.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's had the sporter configuration when it arrived, ala hunter type, as there are two plugs on both sides where the extra pins were located. Is that what the differences are? I don't think this was imported by Legion, it's Legion Russia. The import was "Mercury Hermes, Lou, KY" unless I'm missing something. I'm kinda paranoid of taking a complete pic. Some of it has been converted. I'm sure you noticed that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Us furniture, was a G2 but I changed it over to ALG. Other than the gas tube, the rest of the front looks completely stock. Neither the gas block or the FSP has been off as far as I'm able to see.

·
Registered
921 Posts
People like that Legion roll mark. Looks like it has the mag well dimples and the rear has been converted, that's good for resale. It has the factory Saiga fsb and gb with no handguard retainer? 16" barrel? Bullet guide installed? Does it have the Izzy arrow in triangle stamp on the trunnion?
Hard to judge these things without a full picture of the rifle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
16" yes, bullet guide yes, if i remember correctly, there is a light stamp on the front trunion.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see the trade mark, but a half assed stamp just before the serial number and also left and slightly above the pin for the barrel. And has the 16+" barrel, front hand guard retainer is a bolt on. The bolt and carrier both match the trunion ser#.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's something I checked on my Saiga's that you mentioned. On some, there is the prominent triangle with the arrow on the trunion and some without. They all seem to have what appears to be a funking look "N". Any idea why they would be different with some having a making and some not? I also noticed a difference with the serial numbers. One has at least one letter. I believe the one from 09 and has the Legion Russia has an "L" at the end of the ser#. The 13 has just#'s in the see#. I'm going to take a look at the 308's and see if I'm able to find any difference like the same. Any idea?

·
Registered
921 Posts
I don't see the trade mark, but a half assed stamp just before the serial number and also left and slightly above the pin for the barrel.
That's the norm for Saigas, but some have the Izzy arrow in triangle. Some people will pay more for the ones with Izzy stamp.
I do not know why some do and some don't, all I know is that all the SGL's I have seen, including the ones I own, have the Izzy stamp, but my Saiga does not.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh.... I've been trying to find info on these things for ever. I can't seem to find anything from the factory. Thank God for people like you. Have you found anything that differs with the serial number's? That's another oddity, at least in comparison to us manufacturing. I'm in my 50's and just started getting into the AR and AK platforms about 10? maybe 15 years ago. I never knew about these styles of gums being available in a civilian market, up and until about then. They're still pretty new to me and like my old Winchesters, love to know about their history and all of the little querks. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've actually never thought to compare serial numbers, may have to take a look at that.
There are folks with waaay more knowledge on this than me, hopefully one of them can chime in and give us some insight on why some Saigas have the Izzy trunnion stamp and most don't.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope so, that would be cool. If you get a chance, can you let me know if you find anything differing with the ser#'s? Greatly appreciated again.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Just looked at my serial numbers, the SGL's start with a letter then have 8 numbers, the Saigas have 8 numbers. This is just the ones I own, can't speak for any changes that have happened before or since.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll go through mine and see what I can find. Thanks HWI I'll put the info on here of what I find on mine. I have a total of four, three being unconverted.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of the four I have, only one has the Tula mark, and that one has the weird chamber and is stepped. The 308's are just numbers. My 2000 year 308 has a total of zeros and four non zero numbers in the end. Freaking weird. I have a couple of Yugo kits I'm having a hankering to build or two....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts