AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
image.jpg Hello, I recently removed the FSB and GB from my Saiga with a dremel too. I accidentally cut Into my barrel a little. It looks more like deep scratchs then a deep cuts. I also think I may have drilled the dimples a little too deep as well. I am wondering if I have ruined my barrel? I feel like an idiot for doing such a poor dremel job. Is this damage going to make my rifle unsafe to shoot? Let me know what you guys think. I did the best I could and this has been a true learning experiance for me thanks. See picture below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
if it was on 7.62x39 saiga i'd say MAYBE. but for 5.45 i'd say no big deal. those long dremmel cuts are nothing to sneeze at. drilled out dimples looking kinda a bit squirrelly but they are not. especially if you gonna press FSB back on over them that would add a measure of protection in case of very unlikely side-wall breach, although i think it'll never happen b/c so close to the muzzle. for one pressure spike under those dimples going to be in a measure of microseconds because bullet exits one inch later.

when drilling out dimples on saiga objective is to take out 75 to 90% of metal and then press off as normal sight. paper thin section of leftover metal on the FSB will just be pushed up as FSB starts to slide off the dimple. another good measure is to use ball end-mill instead of jobber or even a stubby.

just FYI for the next time you drill out dimples.

if you feel unsafe, you can cut down those remaining two inches or so and do an SBR or weld extension/muzzle device on. chin-up rifle is not ruined yet.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The marks from the Dremel are no problem. Will be covered with your new FSB anyway.

Tough to tell exact depth where you drilled, but probably OK. Can you see any kind of deformation of the rifling if you shine a light inside the barrel?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your help guys. The rifling is perfect no deformation. The deepest point where it is cut into the battle is about 1 millimeter. Is this damage something that will get worse over the time the more I shoot it?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
You are fine. I did the same thing on one of the Saigas I had long ago. You didn't remove even 1/4 of enough to do anything significant. I would just clean it up with some sandpaper and move on. Like esh said, you're new fsb will cover it anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to hear. I am glad I did not destroy it compleatly. The new FSB covers all the damage , so I am not worried about cosmetics. I just was mainly conceded about how safe this rifle will be now and if the damage will get worse the more I shoot it.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
So your saying that you went 1mm deeper into the dimple? then it shouldnt be a problem at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The deepest cut the barrel is about a milimeter. The drilling in the dimple about a milimeter or less beyond the depth of the already existing dimple.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
No worries, proceed as if nothing happened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts