AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been looking around here for some time. I've decided to convert the front end of my Saiga 5.45. The press should be here tomorrow. I understand how to press off the FSB and GB. What is not clear to me is how to set up the rifle in the press to press on the new GB and FSB. The videos I've watched are rather dark and the presenters assume that someone already knows how to do this. So does the rear end of rifle rest on the rear sight block? If not, where?

I've worked on guns, mainly revolvers, for 20 years, but I've never had to use a press for anything, so all of this is new to me. I have searched for clear instructions on various sites and on youtube, but can't get it clear in my head how to set the rifle up.

I know this is ridiculous to those of you who have many builds under your belt, so please be patient. The only way to learn is to find out from those who know.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kapp

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I did my 7.62x39 front end swap with a Bulgy GB and FSB I didn't need a press. I just scored the FSB and used a hammer and chisel to smack it a couple times until it broke. As for placing the new FSB, a 2x4 and hammer is all it took. Placed the 2X4 piece over the muzzle of the FSB and keep hitting it on the barrel until it was where it needed to be, drilled the barrel and pinned.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Pressing the components on with a hydraulic press is the preferred method. There is a tool that runs through the receiver at the mag well and rests behind the front trunnion. It supports the rear trunnion on the press plate. Use a tube that slides over the barrel to press on the component. A press plate fashioned from a piece of steel stock with a U shaped cut out to push against at the end of the tube or use and appropriately sized open end wrench.
Slide on the handguard retainer, press on the gas block using the gas tube as the stacking template., check it for being aligned and not canted using squares while the receiver is on a kevel surface ad a small bubble level to be cetain. The squares should indicate any cant.
Do the same for the front sight base etc.
If while pressing you meet very heavy resistance., STOP., you ay need to relieve material from the barrel journal for the component to be pressed on. commbloc AK barrel components are sized in 0-4 increment markings based on inside diameter (ID) and the barrel varies on each journal by the same 0-4 variance. So you need to carefully get the interference fit without undue pressure in bending the barrel etc. If you have accurate enough instruments you can measure and go for a .0005"-0001" fitment interference. Otherwise you use the feel in the hydraulic press etc.

Tool here>

http://www.gunthings.com/AKtrunnionfixture.jpg

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Here's a photo of the setup I used. Basically you have to support the chamber end of the barrel with a special tool, and then press the GB and FSB down the barrel with a round steel sleeve tool. The tools can be seen in the bottom of the following photo:

The way you use the tools can be seen in this photo:

-Thirtycal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the help. That clears it up and I should be ready to go when the press gets here today.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Make sure if the barrell parts are punch welded you drill out the the dimples before removing them.

I used a brass hammer to install my new parts, they went on fairly smoothly, but I would imagine a press would work much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts