AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a saiga ak47 and want to have a few spare parts around [bolt, bolt carrier, etc.] but am wondering about compatibility. I am thinking of just getting a parts kit but don't want to waste the money if nothing will fit. options at the moment are Romanian, Yugo and Hungarian. Are you aware of any compatibility issues for the Saiga's? I know you cannot guarantee anything as there are many variables but if you know for sure some countries are too different to work I would appreciate the information.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
first you have to realize generational difference between AKs
AK-47 is original T1 and subsequent milled T2, T3
AKM is the next generation that most people call AK-47 (incorrectly so) that's your average WASR-10 etc
AK-74 is a third generation AK that had a largest evolutionary leap away from AK-47 and AKM. bunch of thing changed to the point most things are not compatible with anything before aside from few most simplistic parts like, dust cover, furniture, recoil spring, selector, grip screw.
After AK-74 (based 98% on it) was 100-series of rifles which saigas belong to. they are backwards compatible to AK-74 in most respects with only difference being obvious caliber related bolt-face and barrel bore and chamber differences.

if you want to buy spare parts you would need to seek out 100-series parts or saiga parts. if your saiga is 5.45x39 then AK-74 parts would be fine too.

with all that said, idea of buying spare parts for AK is a ludicrous one. AK parts sufficiently robust to outlast you by a 100 years.
on any stamped AK sheet-metal receivers fails before any other major parts will and even then it takes tens of thousands of rounds.

typical 'expandable/replaceable' parts for any AK are as follows:
  • springs
  • extractor
  • firing pin

the end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, mine is a 7.62x39 but I do not know what series -10?, do you know how I can determine what version it is? I do know it was made in 2012 but that is all I know.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
EVERY saiga is a 100-series regardless of caliber or year (not talking about large caliber saigas as those are beast of no nation)
if it's a 7.62x39 then it's neutered AK-103.
basically any version of saiga as well as AK-74 have interchangeable carrier. as far as bolt goes you need to look for thin-stem 7.62x39 bolt
your choices are russian websites, mismatched saiga or AK-103 bolt from AK classifieds, aftermarket bolt from ceraphim. I think AoA also had thin -stem 7.6x39 bolts but not 100% positive on that.

if you get a bolt from a third party (not russian saiga or russian AK-103 surplus bolt) then most likely it won't match your rifle or headspace right w/o some careful gunsmithing. yet another reason why this idea is an exercise in futility

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this post is a month old but I didn’t really want to start a new thread when this one deals with identical questions I have.

So, I just bought a mint SGL-21(Saiga) and while I don’t have it yet, it’s supposed to be barely fired. I also have a SAM7SF, so I have a shooter, but I don’t think I plan to baby the SGL. All my firearms are shooters and I’m not sure the SGL should be an exception. Besides, I just got into AKs and I really want to shoot the hell out of them not put them in the safe.

However, I’m also worried about replacement parts. The above is very helpful and I agree with the quality/robust nature of the parts. So I’m not sure it’s necessary to procure bolts, bolts carriers, etc. However, when it comes to firing pins, springs, and extractors, am I correct to assume these need to be of the AK74(7.62) or AK100 series variety as well?

Does anyone think the parts for the new Kalashnikov USA KR103 would work in a Saiga? These are essentially AK100 series rifles, correct?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know this post is a month old but I didn’t really want to start a new thread when this one deals with identical questions I have.

So, I just bought a mint SGL-21(Saiga) and while I don’t have it yet, it’s supposed to be barely fired. I also have a SAM7SF, so I have a shooter, but I don’t think I plan to baby the SGL. All my firearms are shooters and I’m not sure the SGL should be an exception. Besides, I just got into AKs and I really want to shoot the hell out of them not put them in the safe.

However, I’m also worried about replacement parts. The above is very helpful and I agree with the quality/robust nature of the parts. So I’m not sure it’s necessary to procure bolts, bolts carriers, etc. However, when it comes to firing pins, springs, and extractors, am I correct to assume these need to be of the AK74(7.62) or AK100 series variety as well?

Does anyone think the parts for the new Kalashnikov USA KR103 would work in a Saiga? These are essentially AK100 series rifles, correct?

Thank you in advance.
i want your SGL

·
Registered
15 Posts
i want your SGL
Me too, it arrived yesterday but I still need to pick it up. Trust me, I wouldn’t have spent the money I did if it wasn’t exactly the AK I wanted. My SAM7SF is cool but I’ve wanted an SGL for 10 years. Will try to pick up tomorrow and I’ll post some photos.

Anyone still know about the compatibility questions I asked about above? Trying to figure out how best to get spare parts as I would like to rely on my SGL as a regular shooter, don’t want to worry about babying it. I know the parts installed will last a while but I don’t want to try to look for a bolt/bolt carrier 10 years from now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Me too, it arrived yesterday but I still need to pick it up. Trust me, I wouldn’t have spent the money I did if it wasn’t exactly the AK I wanted. My SAM7SF is cool but I’ve wanted an SGL for 10 years. Will try to pick up tomorrow and I’ll post some photos.

Anyone still know about the compatibility questions I asked about above? Trying to figure out how best to get spare parts as I would like to rely on my SGL as a regular shooter, don’t want to worry about babying it. I know the parts installed will last a while but I don’t want to try to look for a bolt/bolt carrier 10 years from now.
how much did it cost in this current environment of anti russia?

·
Registered
15 Posts
how much did it cost in this current environment of anti russia?
$2700. Don’t judge me, because it was probably too much but keep in mind I’ve wanted one for 10 years. Actually, I’ve wanted an AK for 10 years to but was too cheap to pay up for a Russian made one.

Never knew about Arsenal. I knew of Saiga SGLs but never put 2 and 2 together that they were Arsenals. I always thought they were just imported. Anyway, found out about Arsenal and decided to buy an Arsenal SAM7SF because I thought the SGL would cost too much. Keep in mind this SAM7 was first AK.

Well, literally the day after I picked up my SAM7 I was on GB looking for an SGL. I liked the AK platform so much after handling my SAM7, it was enough to push me to buy the AK I should have bought before I even bought the SAM7.

Sort of wish I had spent the money between the two on a Arsenal SGL21-94 or SGL31-94(side folders) but I like the SAM7 and it’s a side folder so I see it has having the best of both worlds. Literally. I have a high end milled side folder and a high end stamped fixed stock.

The only problem now is, I want an underfolder. And a 5.45. And Krinkov. And an KR103. And about 10 other vintage Arsenals no longer made!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
$2700 i would of bought it for sure.
There is a mint SGL 31-62(5.45) with Plum furniture in GB right now for $2995 but that is the starting bid. However, there are zero bidders. Might be a few hundred more than you want to pay but it there.

Other than posting on forums and praying, GB is best place to find them. Good luck. Cheers!

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is a mint SGL 31-62(5.45) with Plum furniture in GB right now for $2995 but that is the starting bid. However, there are zero bidders. Might be a few hundred more than you want to pay but it there.

Other than posting on forums and praying, GB is best place to find them. Good luck. Cheers!
i saw that but he only accepts money order or certified check..... usually just use credit cards these days with all the scams.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i saw that but he only accepts money order or certified check..... usually just use credit cards these days with all the scams.
Smart. Yes, I have had similar reservations about people who won’t take GB instant checkout or CCs. My biggest pet peeve are actual guns shops who charge CC fees.

These are the same assholes who wouldn’t dare dream of asking their physical in store customers to pay for the luxury of using CCs. But you know, since it’s GB they’re all like, gouge’em! It’s so fricken absurd. I hate that shit. It’s the biggest reason I locked on to my SGL I bought because he had Instant GB checkout and no CC fees. It was a sign. lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts