AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use Gunkote to finish my Saiga -> AK-103 conversions, but of course I want to match (as much as possible) the original color and low-gloss level of the crappy Saiga paint.

For those who have done this, or have experience with GK flat black and AK black, which of these two would be a better match to the Saiga finish?

I understand that AK black is darker than the flat black, but it's more glossy. I'm trying to avoid too much gloss, but of course I want it to be black. The Saiga is both black and flat (but it's just crappy paint).

Anybody have a recommendation? Here's the finish I'm trying to match:

thanks-
Thirtycal

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trotsky said:
Use GunKoat formula 1600F. Teflon based "Flat" - really more of a Satin in the 1600 line.
Thanks I saw you other post about the flat, which is why I was asking about how it would match with original Saiga paint.

The 1600F is flat, but is it black or is it more of a grey? If I had to choose between flat grey or slightly glossy black, I'd choose the one that is most black.

Do you think the 1600F is as black as the Saiga paint?

thanks-
Thirtycal

·
Registered
945 Posts
Its harder than you think to make gunkote look like" paint ". The 1600 series as mentioned above is close in color , but I have found the 1600 series to not be as durable as the other 2xxx series. You could also take the matte black gunkote and mix a small amount to the AK black to cut down the gloss , still leaving the deep black color. I have been custom mixing for years with gunkote. Another option is to use Duracoat in the Matte Black. It would have the same texture and very close in color and sheen since Duracoat is really nothing more than paint anyhow[ like your weapon in the pic]. I love Gunkote but sometimes its too thin and does not give you that deep black color. Good luck .

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
1600S is somewhat blacker than 1600F - but the gloss level is more suited to Hungarians.

Here are two '74's - one in Norel's MolyResin (top), one in 1600F (bottom)

Here is a Tantal done in 1600S....

Mosin, with DuraCoat...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts