AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been working on a trade, my Saiga rifle for a RPK parts kit, barrel, receiver, plus a AK builder riveting jig and headspace gauge. The kit is non-matching and he is saying the barrel is stainless. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have not seen this kit in person and he couldn't tell me too much about it, but after looking at the pic I see it is missing the correct lower handgaurd, cleaning rod and possibly the lower handgaurd retainer,the cleaning rod support that goes on the barrel and maybe parts for the bi-pod. How much cash should I offer if I decide not to make the trade?

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
I'm assuming it's a 7.62x39 RPK kit. Personally, I'd pass. BTW, that barrel is just unfinished. It's not stainless.

·
Registered
21,762 Posts
I'd say no to that trade.

as far as what to offer... assuming its a us barrel. who made the receiver?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The receiver is questionable, in another photo he had an AK builder flat shown, I think that makes the receiver his baby. I was going offer $150 for the parts and see how much more he would want for the riveting jig. Plus this stuff is nearly 2 hrs. away from me, through the sticks, that's about a half of a tank of gas. The bolt doesn't match the carrier or the trunnion , he says it is an RPK bolt though. I am not that familer with RPK parts. Will standard AK parts such as the bolt and carrier interchange?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
You can get a good deal on a Romanian RPK from J&G

I have a kit and if I was not already waiting for a receiver from 74u, that's the route I would go.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
J&G doesn't have them listed anymore. I have Polish shells coming back from Childers to start building some kits that I have. I figured if I could get these parts cheap enough to keep the cost close or cheaper to the price a kit was selling for a couple months ago I could add it to my build list. But there is a lot missing to make the kit complete, most of the parts are available, but costly. Didn't the APEX kits sell for $325 without the barrel?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I looked at that RPK TRAAK's, they did have the Romanian AES-10B RPK for $499.95 listed last week, I don't have that much money to work with, that is why the trade deal looked appealing. I talked to the guy with the kit and the only thing he doesn't have is the correct lower handgaurd and he is a NY resident... so I'm not sure how to go about the trade. I am ignorant about the current NY gun laws and I will not do anything illegal. From what I've read, my rifle has to be transferred through an FFL to him since I am a PA resident. If I were to buy the kit from him he is asking $450. I would rather buy a AES-10B.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Hey Bender, I would just wait and see what sales pop up this week and next. J&G email said their sale starts Monday.

·
Registered
21,762 Posts
Yeah, I looked at that RPK TRAAK's, they did have the Romanian AES-10B RPK for $499.95 listed last week, I don't have that much money to work with, that is why the trade deal looked appealing. I talked to the guy with the kit and the only thing he doesn't have is the correct lower handgaurd and he is a NY resident... so I'm not sure how to go about the trade. I am ignorant about the current NY gun laws and I will not do anything illegal. From what I've read, my rifle has to be transferred through an FFL to him since I am a PA resident. If I were to buy the kit from him he is asking $450. I would rather buy a AES-10B.
NOPE!

The way I see it.. it's an unknown receiver, unknown barrel, hoops to jump through to stay legal.. and what you would have to pay to have it built vs just getting an AES-10B and being done with it.. paying a little extra to save yourself some time and trouble is probably worth the cost.. but that's just IMHO, YMMV.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I passed on it, the dude's pissed. I feel bad, but under different circumstances it would have been a good trade. I could sell the Saiga and get what I want later. There was just too much long distance B.S. to go through.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Non-matching, so called "stainless steel barrel" and missing components...you made the right choice. Wait for upcoming sales to buy or post a WTB on this forum. Right decision...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I think you made the correct decision. Heck, with the 10B's coming back down in price (still kick myself for not jumping back when they were $379) I'm strongly considering getting one and selling my kit as well.

·
Registered
21,762 Posts
I passed on it, the dude's pissed. I feel bad, but under different circumstances it would have been a good trade. I could sell the Saiga and get what I want later. There was just too much long distance B.S. to go through.
Yeah I'll bet. He thought he hooked himself a nice fish and you broke the line as he was reeling you in.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Those kits are really sweet. My buddies was all matching down to the small parts except for the bolt carrier. But you made the right/smart move without question, especially with all the added BS of trying to trade with a foreign country

1 - 18 of 18 Posts