AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What all needs to be done? I have the parts to do a conversion...was thinking about doing an AK74M build, but maybe a AK-101 clone would be more feasibile? I have a friend who has offered his Saiga .223 to me for a steal of a price.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What has to be done to the barrel parts in order to use normal handguards? Change the gas block and FSB? Change the gas tube? How do you get a handguard retainer on there?

·
Registered
488 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
What has to be done to the barrel parts in order to use normal handguards? Change the gas block and FSB? Change the gas tube? How do you get a handguard retainer on there?
Either, the fixtures will have to be pressed off and changed...

Or, the lower standard retainer "split" and forced on.

That's about it.

Lolygagger :neutral: (of course you'll need a replacemnt standard gas tube with the upper handguard metal on it...AK74 type)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I was going to use a bunch of the parts I have gathered up for an AK74M build, but with the 5.45 ammo situation, I just might shoot for an AK-101 clone. Those clear Bulgy mags are sweet! I can just use the remaining parts for a Bulgy 5.45 build.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when placing my order from KVar (or raiding my parts kits) I'll need:

1. Bulgy 74 gas tube

2. Bulgy 74 gas block

3. Bulgy 74 FSB

4. Bulgy lower HG retainer

????

·
Registered
151 Posts
You will have to wecsog mill slots on the barrel sides for the retainer to slide in as well as the cross slot for the lever on the retainer. The front sight block my have different pin positions and will have to have new holes drilled also.

They do turn out well, but it can be quite a bit of work, especially hard to get everything straight without a jig when drilling, but is still doable.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Hi guys I'm new to the board here but not new to AK's. The Saiga conversion is not hard but the barrel has a larger OD than the '74's. You will need to turn down the barrel or open up the ID of the parts going on. You do not have to mill a slot for the indexing lug on the botton HG retainer if you just grind off the tennon or tab (call it what you will) but you will have to grind, file cut the cross ways divet for the locking lever. I have done several Saiga conversions and thay are a big PIA but well worth the truble. I have a .223 Saiga with a sidefolder polymer stock and all the correct goodies like FSB and comp. etc I set it up to use the clear Bulgi mags.

G

·
0 Posts
Just my opinion but I would much rather midify the parts than have my barrel turned down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts