AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a S12 that I had the barrel cut and a Bonesteel 12 ga Firestorm Brake for the Saiga 12 Welded on for a total length of 18.5". :)Looks great, but it did not run on low brass (which I figured it might not).:(

So I added the Carolina Shooters Supply SAIGA 12 RELIABILITY KIT which consists of:
1-DPH 6 Position adjustable Gas Knob.
1- CSS Peformance Recoil Spring designed for all 2 3/4" shells
1- CSS Performance G2 Puc is engineered to keep your gas system working in optimum performance

Anyhow, with the knob on "2" it is reliable with cheap buckshot, but no setting will it work with 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 oz birdshot (3 brands, and not the really cheap Winchester Universal.

Anyhow, I thought about this after I shot it yesterday. I initially set the knob at the tightest "6" setting I could get and then backed it out one notch at a time until I got it to be reliable with the buckshot on "2", but then it would not run any low brass stuff even on "6". The question is, can you screw in the plug to much? It was real tight to get it to the "6" setting. Should I try again and back it out to the next "6" setting? :confused:

Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

Thanks
myak47

·
Registered
394 Posts
You can try to go to the next "6" setting but I would not take it out to far. If that does not work try this.

First thing take out your gas plug and look to see how many gas ports you have. should be 3 or 4. ? Also did it shoot low power ammo before having the barrel cut. There is a big section about this over on the Saiga-12 forum I will find it for you and post you a link. If you have any other questions please ask.
http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/33836-modification-to-repair-fte-issues-on-saigas-with-blocked-gas-ports/

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can try to go to the next "6" setting but I would not take it out to far. If that does not work try this.

First thing take out your gas plug and look to see how many gas ports you have. should be 3 or 4. ? Also did it shoot low power ammo before having the barrel cut. There is a big section about this over on the Saiga-12 forum I will find it for you and post you a link. If you have any other questions please ask.
Modification to repair FTE issues on Saigas with blocked gas ports - Saiga-12 - forum.Saiga-12.com
schultze;

Thanks for the quick reply and link. It looks like great info and I'll try it.

Yes, the shotgun cycled low brass almost 100% before I had it modified.

Thanks
myak47

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The shorter barrel almost necessitates opening the gas port holes a little to compensate for the shorter barrel. No amount of adjustment on the gas regulator will fix it if it does not cycle at the highest setting.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would go back to the original recoil spring and look at the gas ports as a solution. You want your Saiga 12 to be able to run all ammo. I am not familiar with the DPH adjuster, but the TAC47 plug works great on my S12 once it was adjusted. Shoots everything with no adjustments needed. Had to get all my gas ports the correct size first. Sometimes one or two might be a little to small or obstructed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts