AK Rifles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently cleaning the barrel of my Saiga after a day of shooting 00 and slugs pretty heavily. Every 5 or 6 range trips I will use a wire brush to get out pieces that had been left behind. When cleaning, I noticed bits of metallic flakes coming out with the patches. I inspected the barrel and noticed un even coloration but it is hard to get a very good look at it. Has anyone else experienced the chrome lining flaking off of a smooth bore barrel? Id this likely the result of over cleaning or heavy shooting? If need be, I can attempt to get some pictures

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Don't know what to tell you except that chrome should not flake off...period. If it is in fact chrome

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Despite all the rumors of chrome lined barrels flaking when cut down, I have never been able to find an instance of that actually happening. There were barrels here and there that has not had the process done properly and it started to come off. On something like a Saiga, it should not happen. Unless you were shoving the bare end of a cleaning rid into the bore very forcefully, I don't think you can do much to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try and post some pictures. It is most likely heavy lead buildup from the slugs. Use a brass brush when cleaning followed by a lead removing cloth. This same thing happens when i shoot regular slugs but not with sabots. It is highly unlikely that it actually is chrome flaking.

·
Registered
617 Posts
This (I thought) happened to me once. I was using a cheap Hoppes brush that comes with multiple brushes for cleaning and the metal rod and extra extension rod for rifles.
I was cleaning my new rifle and noticed bright metallic flakes coming out and was about to lose my shit, then I realized that it was scrapings from the side of the cheap metallic brush coming off. I scraped the side of the metal rod against the muzzle when entering and the cheap metal finish started flaking off.

Make sure that's not the case.
I too noticed different colors in my Saiga barrels, some spots like a dull gray rather than an iridescent bright chrome like my new Green Mountain CL barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts