AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my SA85M before and after pics. It's always been a nice high quality AK, but I've always been bummed with the castrated look it had. I got a used Romey barrel with parts, and had the gas block and front sight based changed, along with the barrel threaded. I love it now, I just need an original buttsock and pistol grip to finish it.
I used duplicolor matt black engine paint to match up the parts, and I can't tell the difference from the original finish.

Before:

After:

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
Great job!!!! Looks damn good.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Great job,I love to see post ban AKs made right!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Wow, that looks great.

I was fortunate enough to get ahold of an AMD 63 kit, and just pulled the front end off of that. My wood buttstock doesn't look nearly as nice as yours, though, so I ended up putting black russian style plastic on it. Not as authentic, but it sure feels and shoots good. Besides, it's only furniture. I can change it back.

~D

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The buttstock it's wearing now is a donor from my '74 kit, it's a real close match to the original upper and lower handguards. I'm hoping to find a nice Hungarian rear end and pistol grip to complete it though.
Thanks for the kind words all!

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
That postban buttstock may be desirable by those living in the liberal left State of Kalifornia......hang on to it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As ugly as it is, (beautiful wood though) that is the most comfortable AK stock I've ever shot with. Yes, I gonna keep it. :wink:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
SixM said:
The buttstock it's wearing now is a donor from my '74 kit, it's a real close match to the original upper and lower handguards. I'm hoping to find a nice Hungarian rear end and pistol grip to complete it though.
Thanks for the kind words all!
I believe Z_recto makes Hungy style grips. That would really set it off nicely.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Krinkfreak said:
That postban buttstock may be desirable by those living in the liberal left State of Kalifornia......hang on to it.
Noper. Thumbhole stocks and pistol grips count as the same thing over here.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe Z_recto makes Hungy style grips. That would really set it off nicely.
I think I'm gonna have to talk to Z_recto then. I have a Maadi coming home in a couple weeks and it may need some new furniture. He's got some beauties. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts