AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinds of ammo are you guys putting through your SA-M5's? I had mine out once so far and put about 200 rounds of Wolf .223 62gr. FMJ through it no problems. I'm waiting on a PK-ASV optic to sight in on my SA-M5S to see how much more accurate it is than my SAR 1. Also wanted to know what's a good defensive/SHTF type ammo to use?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
just for plinking around i use the Wolf 62 gr. FMJ's,.. but i Zeroed with the S&B SS109 62 gr. FMJ's,. and i keep a small stash of it tucked away.

Dieter is right,...a POSP scope would be alot better than a red dot,..but even though you want to use a scope do not forget to zero your iron sights

remember your SA-M5 has a twist rate of 1/7,.. so remember that when trying diffrent ammo types.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I know a POSP would be better. I just can't hit $hit with the iron sights so the PK will give me a better idea how accurate it is. If I like the accuracy I'll get a POSP scope in the future. My friend has a few POSP scopes for me to try to see if I like any. My SAR 1 keeps evrything inside a paper plate at a 100 yards with a Kobra but I don't think I would scope it.

I was looking at some British Radway green 62gr. surplus, any other surplus I should be looking at? I'll use the Wolf heavy 62gr. at the range being it's more affordable.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Depending on what the parameters are, such as maximum accuracy, maximum fragmentation range, best penetration qualities, least cost, or other, the answer would vary. In the general sense, it is hard to go wrong with Federal XM 193 or Winchester Q3131/Q3131A.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since the Arsenal SA M-5 utilizes the 1/7 twist, up to 77 grain ammo can be shot with accuracy. I am going feed my new SA M-5s some new in the box Winchester 62 grain military M855 green-tip from Cougar Ridge Trading...

AC

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used Wolf 55 and 62 grain with success in my SAM 5. Just noticed that clearviewinvest.com has 55 grain FMJ steelcase for $122/1000 shipped.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ligament said:
Hornady TAP 75grain 5.56 is best for a 1/7 twist.
Ligament, those are some pretting big claims you are putting out there. What is your definition of best? Care to share your research or data??? :)

AC

·
Registered
38 Posts
AC_Doctor said:
Ligament said:
Hornady TAP 75grain 5.56 is best for a 1/7 twist.
Ligament, those are some pretting big claims you are putting out there. What is your definition of best? Care to share your research or data??? :)

AC
I would not claim best accuracy, but a lot of AR guys are claiming it is one of the best defensive rounds available.

However, I would not shoot the stuff other than to see if it works and put the rest in the SHTF pile. Speaking of which, were can I find some :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts