AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a guy wanting to trade me a sa m-7 sf for a gun I have.

From on what I understand they were built in US Arsenal receivers by Arsenal NV

Other than the receiver and the location they were made what are the differences?

What is the earlier one worth? From what I understand they were much more expensive when k-var sold them.

i will be using one of the two models to build an AR-M4 combined with a 7.62 "krinkov" kit from K-Var, which would be the better base to build on? I'm assuming the newer Bulgarian one...

Thank you in advance,

Justin

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I had an older model. Other then maybe markings, and flash hider differences, I dont see what possible differences there could be. Both are assembled in the USA using Bulgarian parts, using US made receivers that are made with original forgings.

I think its one of those things that they were worth a premium for so long, that people are unwilling to lower the price when a new run appears.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the new one isn't a Bulgarian Arsenal receiver?

·
Registered
297 Posts
So the new one isn't a Bulgarian Arsenal receiver?
The receivers for the new SAM7SF were finished in Arsenal Bulgaria.

Edit: I recall researching this when it was first released last fall and you can also note the 922r parts here:

arsenalinc.com, US manufacturer and importer of the finest and most authentic examples of the time proven assault rifle design
"For purpose of the 922r requirement, the complete list of Arsenal, Inc.’s US made components includes the pistol grip, the upper and lower handguards, the muzzle brake, the hammer, the disconnector, the magazine body, the magazine follower, and the magazine floor plate. Even though the SAM7SF rifle comes with a US made magazine, it has enough US made parts for the shooter to use foreign made magazines. "

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's what I understand as well, so I'm assuming since the newer Bulgarian one was released the original has been devalued significantly?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I dont see how they could be made in Bulgaria, other then a single stacked thumbhole rifle....Even if thats the case, so much work would be required to get into full military configuration, it would be the same as US made.

Again, I think its because the "going rate" was so much more for awhile, people are unwilling to drop the price down.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
I dont see how they could be made in Bulgaria, other then a single stacked thumbhole rifle....Even if thats the case, so much work would be required to get into full military configuration, it would be the same as US made.

I agree, unless the receiver came in as did the Polish 80%'s, then finished here as a US receiver. The thumbhole stock is a valid point as well with the recent M77 imports. Laws are the same for everyone.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah that's what I understand as well, so I'm assuming since the newer Bulgarian one was released the original has been devalued significantly?
I don’t see why anyone would pay more for essentially the same rifle unless there was some obscure quirk associated with the older version that a collector would value.

Again, I think its because the "going rate" was so much more for awhile, people are unwilling to drop the price down.
Agreed, it’s exactly as you said. The foreign-receiver rifle is just imported in sporterized configuration and converted here. Along the same lines as the WASR, SGL or SLR series, which all have original foreign-produced receivers.

I agree, unless the receiver came in as did the Polish 80%'s, then finished here as a US receiver. The thumbhole stock is a valid point as well with the recent M77 imports. Laws are the same for everyone.
I love the Polish receivers and have a couple myself from Childers but it’s still legal to import rifles built from foreign receivers. Little costly to do so but as long as they’re imported in sporter configuration and then converted here it’s legal.

·
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
+1 on getting a current SAM7SF with Bulgarian-made receiver. I had to jump on one of these the 1st day they released. To me, this rifle and a debanned SA93 are to the two most desireable Bulgarian AK-47's.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Well I happened to look through this thread again and now have to un-insert foot from mouth.

Of course you know WASRs, SGLs and SLRs are all sporterized conversions. It wasn’t my intention to sound patronizing. I replied to you previously without actually looking at your username. My apologies, you’ve forgotten more than I know about the AK platform.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts