AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started looking closely at the specifications on the Arsenal website for the SA M-7 A1 and the SA M-7 carbine and the only apparent differences that I can see are that the carbine has a shorter overall length of 870mm as opposed to the SA M-7 A1's overall length of 966mm for a difference of 96mm as the carbine is not offered with a flash hider and that the carbine has 14mm LH threads as opposed to the 24mm RH threads on the SA M-7 A1. It appears that the 96mm (about 3.75 inches) difference in overall length of these rifles is a result of the flash hider on the SA M-7 A1 being 96mm in length and not as a difference of barrel length because the length on both models is 415mm.

Am I right or am I missing something else that makes the carbine a carbine ? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
The only differance I know of is that the FSB on the Carbine doesn't have a bayonet lug ...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went back to their site and now I see that they have the WARSAW Pact stock on the carbine and the NATO buttstock on the A1. Guess that is how they keep the O.A.L. down a little bit, too. Otherwise, looks like the same reciever and general configuration on both rifles.

Guess that there isn't much difference afterall, huh?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are those yours, Ironback? Nice rifles.

Hoping to have a carbine alongside the A1 in my gunsafe, but I gotta get my next VEPR K 7.62x39 taken care of whenever RA gets them in, IF they ever get them in.

I just hope that I can find one when I am ready to get one. The only thing that really vexes me about geting these rifles is the damned uncertainty of the supply. :mad:

So many AK's, so little time...... :smile:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes they are mine. But to be honest they are clones, (both SLR95's). I just changed out a few parts. I still have to change the gas block on the one on the left. Thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I threaded both barrels and then changed out the front sight base to get the M7 A1 look. I will have to pull it off again to change the gas block, once I find the right diameter GB. The carbine clone has a thicker barrel. It was an early model 95.
I am getting fairly proficient at this. :wink:

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
The closest thing to the SA M7 Carbine with a scope rail is the SA M7R.

It also has the 14x1mm threaded muzzle, and the longer NATO length stock.

BTW: both the SA M7 Carbine and SA M7R will accept the slant brake.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That does it! Now I am gonna hafta to get another rifle just so I can play with the 14mmx1 RH threaded goodies.

Apparently there is no end to this new addiction is there?

I wonder if the wife will notice how light the checkbook has become this month?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts