AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this rifle years ago and don't have much in it. I wondered what you all thought about having a good gunsmith remove the under fold stock and weld up the holes. Then have the proper rear trunnion install to accept the Bulgarian fiberglass stock. Change out the hand guard and thread the barrel and make it compliant with the proper us parts. Who would be a good gunsmith for this job?

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
There's an adapter for underfolders to accept rigid or sidefolding stocks. No welding needed.
Iirc it's from the Jews/Israelis.
Quality looked pretty decent on the pics and vids on YouTube.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Factory Bulgarian milled underfolder or something someone converted over / cobbled together to make an UF?
If its an original imported UF, I wouldnt touch it, (less it was to simply de-bann certain features). These dont grow on trees.
If you dislike the UF, my advice would be to sell it off & buy a fixed stock AK in the configuration you desire, you will most certainly be money ahead and wont have ruined an original Bulgy UF.
I say this as no big fan of UF's.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Factory Bulgarian milled underfolder or something someone converted over / cobbled together to make an UF?
If its an original imported UF, I wouldnt touch it, (less it was to simply de-bann certain features). These dont grow on trees.
If you dislike the UF, my advice would be to sell it off & buy a fixed stock AK in the configuration you desire, you will most certainly be money ahead and wont have ruined an original Bulgy UF.
I say this as no big fan of UF's.
its not an original. SA93 was fixed stock

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'll trade you my fixed stock SA-93 for your underfolder, in a heartbeat. Mine came with a thumbhole stock, but now wears polymer trafitional furniture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's an adapter for underfolders to accept rigid or sidefolding stocks. No welding needed.
I say this as no big fan of UF'
I'll trade you my fixed stock SA-93 for your underfolder, in a heartbeat. Mine came with a thumbhole stock, but now wears polymer trafitional furniture.
I think this one came with the thumbhole stock also until bubba got ahold of it. It has the pregnant wood handguard and non threaded muzzle. The underfold is not done very nicely but it does work well. I would trade you but my rifle would not have as much value as yours because it is not an original underfold from Arsenal.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the group!

I hate to say this, but even though your SA-93 has been thoroughly "bubbafied", the cost of someone restoring it to fixed stock would most likely be as expensive as just going out and buying a rifle in the configuration you desire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the group!

I hate to say this, but even though your SA-93 has been thoroughly "bubbafied", the cost of someone restoring it to fixed stock would most likely be as expensive as just going out and buying a rifle in the configuration you desire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you I know but only paid 275 years ago. I sold a legend years ago for a 1000 and bought 3 nhm91 for 350 each. Always missed that legend but thought if I could get a fixed stock on this rifle it would fill that gap for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you I know but only paid 275 years ago. I sold a legend years ago for a 1000 and bought 3 nhm91 for 350 each. Always missed that legend but thought if I could get a fixed stock on this rifle it would fill that gap for me.
By the way I paid 800 for the legend. I was on here years ago but lost my log in information. Back then you guys told me about a shop out West and I kept that info but his shop had a fire. I am looking for someone like him to give me a rough idea what this might cost.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought this rifle years ago and don't have much in it. I wondered what you all thought about having a good gunsmith remove the under fold stock and weld up the holes. Then have the proper rear trunnion install to accept the Bulgarian fiberglass stock. Change out the hand guard and thread the barrel and make it compliant with the proper us parts. Who would be a good gunsmith for this job?
Honestly, your on the right track ! Contact Two Rivers Arms, speak with Tim or mostly Dan as Tim is always busy and has his hands full with RPD builds, tell him exactly what you noted by removing the UF and welding up the existing miss located UF holes (most likely Tim will plug and weld them) and let Tim restore your SA-93, your into it for cheap and that's a great spot to be. BTW, the boys at TRA are also moving to a new spot so shipping your rifle, stock, HG, lower tang etc. maybe best served shipping after the move but Dan will advise you on that.

You will be happy that you did this for sure !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly, your on the right track ! Contact Two Rivers Arms, speak with Tim or mostly Dan as Tim is always busy and has his hands full with RPD builds, tell him exactly what you noted by removing the UF and welding up the existing miss located UF holes (most likely Tim will plug and weld them) and let Tim restore your SA-93, your into it for cheap and that's a great spot to be. BTW, the boys at TRA are also moving to a new spot so shipping your rifle, stock, HG, lower tang etc. maybe best served shipping after the move but Dan will advise you on that.

You will be happy that you did this for sure !
Thank you that is what I thought. From what I have read this rifle is all Bulgarian including the barrel. It is in like new condition and I am not worried about what the value will be when work is completed but will be happy to know that I own one of the best examples of an AK47. I feel that the legend I once owned was a fine rifle but this will be equal or maybe even better quality. What a better rifle could you find to unbubbafy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The other day I said I bought 3 nhm91's but looking at some pictures on here I must have the nhm90 which has a 16 in. barrel.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Funny thing about the NHM90 that I ran into about 15 plus years ago. ATF had raided someone and confiscated a bunch of NHM90s in both 7.62x39 and 5.56x45. After holding them, they released them to another company for sale to we the people. I ordered one in 5.56 but when it arrived it was 7.62 even though the box was marked 5.56x45/.223. The serial number of the rifle did not match the box, giving me an idea on how ATF treated the guy's rifles.

I told the dealer that I would accept the "wrong" rifle but still wanted a .223. The order went out with instructions to verify that the rifle in the box was the correct one. When it came in I was thrilled that not only was it .223 but had an underfolder receiver.

Very possible your seller thought the rifles were the long barrel NHM91 and didn't check the box to verify what was really inside.

Either way, they are both great rifles. The Chinese were mocked when they first came in but time has shown them to be among the best of the factory made imports that unfortunately were blocked from importation in 1994.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny thing about the NHM90 that I ran into about 15 plus years ago. ATF had raided someone and confiscated a bunch of NHM90s in both 7.62x39 and 5.56x45. After holding them, they released them to another company for sale to we the people. I ordered one in 5.56 but when it arrived it was 7.62 even though the box was marked 5.56x45/.223. The serial number of the rifle did not match the box, giving me an idea on how ATF treated the guy's rifles.

I told the dealer that I would accept the "wrong" rifle but still wanted a .223. The order went out with instructions to verify that the rifle in the box was the correct one. When it came in I was thrilled that not only was it .223 but had an underfolder receiver.

Very possible your seller thought the rifles were the long barrel NHM91 and didn't check the box to verify what was really inside.

Either way, they are both great rifles. The Chinese were mocked when they first came in but time has shown them to be among the best of the factory made imports that unfortunately were blocked from importation in 1994.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I just forgot the proper name they have been in the back of the safe for years. I did buy a Chinese stock and pistole grip back then to put on one of them someday. Yes they were mocked by most of my friends but my brother and I saw good quality and very reasonable prices. We loaded up on Chinese stuff, sks's m1a's tokarev's 1911's drums and magazines. He even bought one of their uzi's but this is when sks's were selling for 89.00. tokarev's 99.00 and I think we paid like 350.00 for the m1a's. Those were the good old days for sure. I did go on Two Rivers Arm's website and they look very professional. I took a few more pictures of the SA93 and am going to send them an email so as not to bother them on the phone. Thanks for everyone's help here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts