AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive been sitting on this kit since February now working on it whenever i get the chance, i got a NDS-3 last month and its been sitting in my gun cabinet just sitting there so today i decided to finally drill the old rivets out of the rear trunnion.

Since today was very hot and humid the shop was unbearable so i did it in steps you know drill about 1/4 way through and take a break lol after 3 hours of casual drilling and one broken drill bit with my cordless drill i finally got the rivets out of the rear trunnion.

i did a test fit of the rear trunnion and noticed that one of the holes was about 1/32 off and drilled it out so i could get the rivet to actually go through and not bind up, i also had to do some filing on the rear trunnion where there was a burr where the top rails slide into the trunnion and violla fits like a charm, when i removed the front receiver stub i ground the rivets to the trunnion, and drilled the lower 2 out so i checked the fitting of the front trunnion to the receiver, it fit like a charm no fitting needed and it appears that all rivet holes in receiver are spot on

I then used some small bolts to hold the front and rear trunnion in place, clamped them down in my vice and used some screws to hold the trigger guard in place and tested the mag fitting to see if i needed to trim it, i first tried a maadi magazine that i got from a buddy it was a little tigt but went in no problem, and the mag that came with my wasr fit like a charm, then i put the charging handle,recoil spring and top cover on and everything fit perfect

i pulled the barrel i decided to pound the living snot out of it till it moved but had no luck with that and ended up having to drill through the pin, well i drilled through it and stepped it up a little to get mu punch in and it drove out with ease then i used ole trusty 3lb hammer some pennys and a drift and beat the barrel out, it only took about 10 good blows and it droped out i put an alignment mark on the trunnion and barrel before i finished pulling the bbl whole process took 1 1/2 hours

this is gonna be a khyber pass style build, not perfect looking but functional

·
Registered
812 Posts
That is not so rusty!!! One piece of advice.. Step back and take a little time. You are obviously short on tools. There is probably a board member here that lives close enough to you and would be willing to help. It looks like you a have a nice project started, but just don't half/way it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i got lucky when the rusty romys came out from centerfire this was a grade c.
as for tools i just lack a press, im moving to west Missouri next week hopefully i can find someone around there that builds, if not ive got some scrap metal i can build riveting jigs out of ad some bolt cutters i can make into a rivet crusher

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, i actually have to go over the butt stock again and the upper hand guard has a few rough spots and the finish is just high temp bbq paint

1 - 8 of 8 Posts