AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 349 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The milled receiver versions of the Russian AK47 produced in the 1950s (known as the Type 2 and Type 3, or T2 & T3) are generally considered to be the finest of the Kalashnikovs. While the main focus here will be the T2 & T3 weapons, the T1 and the AKM will be touched on briefly to provide context. Those seeking more in-depth information can do no better than Kalashnikov, the Arms and the Man, by Edward Clinton Ezell. You can find out more about this book at the bottom of the page.

The Type 1
(1947 - 1949)

The Type 1 went into production in 1947. The T1 receiver had most of the elements seen in modern variants. It had a milled trunnion and butt stock insert, and a stamped body. Unfortunately the technology of the day could not produce a consistent product and a new, more robust milled receiver was designed.

The Type 2
(1949 - 1953-54)

The T2 with its newly designed milled receiver went into production in 1949, parallel to the existing T1, still in production. Not wanting to waste parts, it is standard practice for Russian made AK47s to contain parts from both models as it transitioned to a new design. Note the distinctive socketed "boot" connecting the stock to the receiver. Shown above is a Russian mid-production full stock weapon dated 1951.

The Type 3
(1953-54 - 1959)

Further refinements led to the T3, which went into production sometime in 1953 or 1954 and remained in production until about 1959. The weapon shown above is Russian.

Differences between the Type 2 and Type 3 rifles

1. The rear sling swivel moved from the bottom to the left side.
2. The T2 buttstock fits in a tanged socket, or boot, which is attached to the rear of the rear of the receiver via a sliding dovetail joint. On the T3 receiver the tangs are attached directly to the receiver.
3. The one piece buttstock and pistol grip were prone to cracking so the T3 furniture was made from laminated Birch plywood. Shown on the T2 is an early checkered grip.
4. The T2 fire selector has one thumb tab and the T3 has two.
5. The T2 top cover is made from a heavier stock than later models, whereas the T3 is lighter and has a noticeable stamped bottom edge, presumably to strengthen it.
6. The lightening cut is horizontal on the T2 and slanted on the T3.
7. There are raised areas just below the top edge of the T2 receiver - front and rear on the right side and continuous on the left. These were omitted on the T3.
8. On the T2 the front sling loop is on left side of the fore-stock band. On the T3 the loop was moved forward to the gas block.
9. The T2 gas piston rod has fluted lightening cuts. The T3 rod is thinner, and solid.
10. The slab sided magazine used with the T1 and T2 was reinforced with ribs by the time the T3 went into production

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ermac said:
If you have a newly made milled AK, is it considered an AKM or an AK47?
AK47

Reactions: Dwe

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Has nothing to do with the comp. It's the milled receiver and stock that make them either AK-47AKS-47 clones or AKM/AKMS clones. Besides, that comp doesn't belong on that milled beauty! :wink:

·
Banned
234 Posts
Bachelor_of_Science said:
Has nothing to do with the comp. It's the milled receiver and stock that make them either AK-47AKS-47 clones or AKM/AKMS clones. Besides, that comp doesn't belong on that milled beauty! :wink:
Yeah you're right. My milled AK looks nearly the same as that one down to the compensator which I don't mind.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Interesting T2. The kit has some T3 features like the T3 top cover, front sling swivel on the T3 type gas block, the T3 piston, and two thumb tab selector but then who knows what parts have been changed over time:

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Ken said:
Interesting T2. The kit has some T3 features like the T3 top cover, front sling swivel on the T3 type gas block, the T3 piston, and two thumb tab selector but then who knows what parts have been changed over time:

I wonder what the star "74" is about.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Blanco_Diablo said:
Ken said:

I wonder what the star "74" is about.
Neat markings. is that a Tula refurb mark?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The stamp with the arrow-in-circle to the left of the star of David is also an Israeli mark.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The Star of David should have 6 points, it is hard to tell if the one in the picture has 5 or 6. This rifle has similar rebuild marks, unfortunately one of the proofs was ground off.

Reactions: corpsman5

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Look at the stamp closer on that one. You'll see there's six - same number of points on opposite sides, if you look closer.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
rayman1 said:
Look at the stamp closer on that one. You'll see there's six - same number of points on opposite sides, if you look closer.
Yeah, I see that now, thanks.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I REALLY love those israeli capture markings. If I ever build another russian clone, Im gonna put one of the Israeli star capture markings.
Did the israeli's ever capture any Yugo AK's and put the star on it?

1 - 20 of 349 Posts