AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a student of Russian AK47 or AKM's.
I have three barrels that are AK47 pattern threaded chamber end. Can someone ID the "type" of barrel these fall under., i.e., T1, T2 or T3 and or how one can tell the difference if the pictures are not sufficient to ID. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
You need to measure the length of the GB journals. I am confirming this, however Im pretty sure that the GB journal is longer on the t1 and t2 barrels, and shorter on the t3.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
These are Soviet barrel assemblies that I disassembled for study.

The stripped barrels are basically the same but the GB journals can be used to ID. The T1 parts are at the top, T2 middle, and T3 at bottom.

(RSBs)

(GBs)

(FSBs) - As I understand it, the top two FSBs are transitional models, suitable for either T1 or T2s. There is an earlier T1 FSB with different pin spacing.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Both of you guys are lucky! BTW, thanks for sharing the images, Richard!

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richard W thanks for the pics., can you be more specific on the measurements or differences in the GB journals. I can measure them but not sure what vertical lengths distinguish the barrel types etc. Any other differences?

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
I don't have the measurements, but the T1 GB journal is pretty obvious from how long it is.

T2 and T3 are similarly sized, but the front sling eyelet on the T2 is on the lower handguard retainer, while the T3's is the loop that fits over the barrel and sits behind the GB. It's not evident in my photo, but he loop leaves a distinctive signature in the wear of the finish.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Richard., OK., I get it. Pretty much standard AK47 pattern journal on the T2 & T3. That works., I can compare to a Bulgy milled barrel etc. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Richard, I think you made a mistake in your pictures. I think the middle barrel is actually the T-3 barrel and your bottom barrel is your T-2 barrel. The paint on the middle barrel seems to match the T-3 parts better. Also (and this is how I tell an early T-1 and T-2 barrels from T-3 barrels) is the size of the fillet from the journal that tightens against the receiver and extends to the RSB journal. If they left a lot of meat on the fillet, its the early style. T-3s removed more of the fillet.

Brick

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Dammit- You're right, Brick. I mistakenly mismatched the barrels for the photos.

Nos. 2 and 3 should be switched. Sorry about that, guys.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so the typ3 has the more abrupt forward shoulder in front of the swell forward of the chamber threads? I'm still not sure what type the barrels are I posted now. Oh well.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Ok, I was able to get measurements on type 1 and type 2 barrel assemblies. I was surprised to note that the front sight base on the t1 and t2 are actually different lengths(measured at the journal) and are different parts for those two generations.

All measurements below are the component lengths, of the journal section of the part only.

Type 1 FSB length is 31.9mm
Type 2 FSB length is 29.9mm

Type 1 gas block length is 44.9mm
Type 2 gas block length is 36.9mm

The barrel journals are slightly larger typically.

If anyone has a t3 they can measure, please do and report back!

Thanks!

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do not use metric calipers for measuring. Only for general ID'ing parts., rivets, trunnion journals etc.,

Type 3.,

FSB 1.170" +/- rear edge of threads to rear of journal (journal tapers down significantly., .125 short of the thread rear)
GB 1.540" +/-

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
I don't have all the FSB variants, but they are shown in this photo from Chamberlin.

At the back is the earliest T1 variant.

Middle is the T1/T2 transitional variant. (Slight difference in the pin spacing.)

At the front is the T3 type.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking for a barrel for my AK47 russian milled type 3.

Hello.
I'm looking for a barrel for my AK47 russian milled type 3.
The barrel is threaded.
Anyone have any for sale either new or used? Or someone knows where can I buy it?
Thank you

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Welcome to the board.

If you go to the main forum list, there's a subforum in the Marketplace called "Want to buy/trade - AK related". That's where you should post this.

We've always had a rule around here that commerce was excluded from the technical fora. Many vendors have gotten away with bending that rule over the years, but on the whole the private membership has respected it.

The reasoning is that buying and selling will always crowd out information and research, so the few places devoted to technical discussion need protection.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts