AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing that picture of some Soviet soldiers in their Afghan war, one of them has a RPG optic on his AKS-74. I'm looking to get one to but having trouble telling which is Bulgarian and which is a Russian. Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Not sure if this answers your Question but it is a Russian RPG sight made in Belarus http://www.belomo.by/en/catalog/opt...li_kollimatornie_dlya_strelkovogo_orujiya/pgk I believe Russian cyrilic and Bulgarian Cyrillic have a few different characters and if they happen to be on the sights that would tell you origination. Bulgaria might very well have purchased the same sights as Russia or had been supplied by Russia in the good old Soviet days. here are some Russian manufacturer marks http://www.belomo.by/en/about/info

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

I have a Bulgarian optic on my '79 Soviet clone. It was close enough for me. I obtained it from Tantal. And I assume Tantal will be along shortly to answer your question.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
The factory logo will be the best way to tell. Also, just seeing one from a cursory glance, the color can give them away. Since about 1972 Russian military scopes (including PGO-7V) have been painted a hammertone gray, while Bulgarian military issue optics are traditionally painted black. You can find old (black painted) Soviet 1P38's in Afghan war era pictures, but these days most of those few available for sale, if in fact Russian, will be newer and this painted hammer gray.

Some of the black 1P38's seen in Afghanistan might have even been from Minsk. Keep in mind that Belarus was a part of the USSR, and her military optical factories are well known for supplying optics to the Soviet Army. Depending on the year of production, being marked as built in Belarus means it was likely built in an original or former USSR military factory, so I would not automatically shy away from those. They are also cheaper and easier to find, but of course also less desirable. Some of the more modern Bulgarian PGO-7's also have newer style battery compartments from what the Soviets used back in the day, so they are cosmetically a little different looking. Asking prices are also a good way to tell if it's Russian or not ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts