AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
馃憣
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Life be hard. I need to supplement my income, but also want AK parts for a build. Message me if you have use of my very specialized skills and what we can trade for them. I know how to do the Russian finish. I studied. I mean seriously studied. We're talking like the days where Tantal's was active and Mr. recto was still doing this kind of work.

The clarity, glossiness and hand brush stroked texture is pinpoint accurate. If you think my work looks like factory takeoffs fresh out of the paper, I know, I'm awesome ;-) I can even color match. Not exclusive to AK(s), but just understand that a whole Nagant or SKS will require more time and supplies. I mix only enough for each project. >To color match to an existing part of yours, you will need to send a part. Digital photos (RGB) are subject to a myriad of factors that can not guarantee a perfect match other than how it looks to my eye when shown on a computer screen, though it is enough for finishing a complete set to near accurate-accurate, (since all parts will use the same batch of finish)

There is also virtually no advantage to applying this finish to anything but Russian made wood. The geometry of the milling and brightness of the Baltic birch are not found on anything else. Maybe, just MAYBE a Maadi can get away with it. I as a consumer can imagine myself being disappointed if in the end, no matter what materials were used, the build still looked "off". WASR, Bulgarian, Solid wood that isn't off a Russian AK, or anything that has been permanently tainted with oils and wood stain are not ideal. Examples of my work below ->

Registered
Your work is fantastic we will be in touch over a future project

Reactions: JC507JC

Registered
I can say that that is a beautiful red color on those. I've used Thai seedlac, 2lb cut, for mine but haven't been able to get that red. I was using a repo hand guard though.

Registered
馃憣
Discussion Starter #5
you need to use tints to control color. Buy a small piece of birch craft plywood at an ace or hobby lobby to test your swatches

Registered
馃憣
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Opposite swivel-side:

"Tigereye" eefect of cross-laminate layers:

Photos taken in white light show the dynamic color range of the finish. Some blue light was picked up out of the ambient in this picture. Quite pleasing since I notice that a lot in outdoor photos of NOS original finish pieces.

Visible brush strokes and grain structure:

Correct level of gloss, visible grain structure:

Registered
馃憣
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Visible strokes in the varnish, color and gloss exemplified

EXAMPLES OF WHAT WAS FIXED BEFORE THE FINISH:

Large fracture that was left unfilled. Repaired as shown below with wood dust and glue filler:

Areas of rough mill work left un-sanded:

Registered
馃憣
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@the.cheese

Been a real pleasure. Happy to declare the work secure. Give it until the weekend to cure, so it won't tack to anything I ship it in.(y) I recommend no less than an additional week after it gets to you before fitting and mounting it. Contact me for advice on fitting if needed.

Registered
Wow! This is just beautiful. +1 To the commander. If those pictures dont blow you away i dont know what will. There is no feedback system but consider this an A+ from me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts