AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started to install my rear trunion and noticed that the front rivets for the rear trunion are longer then any I have. The rear of the trunion will take a standard rear AKM long dimple rivet. But the front of the trunion uses the 2 of same type dimple rivets as the rear ones on the front trunion but they are longer. Where can I get the correct ones. Is there a differant AK Builder rivet set that has them? I was hoping to finish the receiver tonight but NO, another hold up. I did a serch on the forum but did not find any other posts about this. At least the receiver is almost finished. But anyone know where I can get them? Please......

CAB

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rear trunion rivets 1971 Izhmash

Drill the trunion holes to 11/64 and shorten a long rivet?

CAB

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use the longer rear trunnion rivets for the Bulgarian type (fork type) trunnion. It seems that the forward rear trunnion rivets are neither the size of the small front trunnion rivets or the long rear trunnion rivets.

So yes, I drill out the forward rear trunnion holes to fit the long rivets and cut those rivets to size.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Re: Rear trunion rivets 1971 Izhmash

CAB said:
Drill the trunion holes to 11/64 and shorten a long rivet?

CAB

I don't know if this will help but...

Stamped Yugos use a longer 4mm rivet on the bulged section of the front trunion - longer than most short rivets anyway. I'm using the AK-Builder Yugo rivets. Perhaps Curtis can supply what you need.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Tapeo1 said:
AK-Builder carries the rivets you need for the forked rear trunion. They come with the rivet sets for the "AK74 Fixed Stock w/Forked Trunnion" and the "FEG SA85 w/Forked Trunnion".

http://ak-builder.com/modules.php?name= ... age&pid=21
+1. Exactly what I used. I shortened them a bit ( I don't remember how much, sorry).

Here's what I ended up with on my 71 izzy.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rivets

Tapeo1 said:
AK-Builder carries the rivets you need for the forked rear trunion. They come with the rivet sets for the "AK74 Fixed Stock w/Forked Trunnion" and the "FEG SA85 w/Forked Trunnion".

Tapeo1
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou. I haven't drilled out the trunion holes yet, I've been lookin in all the wrong places for rivets. I'll order some from AK Builder tonight. What I have been trying to do is take a center support rivet (they are the right width but are full length) and form good heads on both ends. Then cut in half, trim to length, and there ya go 2 rivets to press. But they would not have been swell neck rivets which is what I need. Thanks again...........I owe you one.

CAB

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
m0ondoggy said:
Tapeo1 said:

+1. Exactly what I used. I shortened them a bit ( I don't remember how much, sorry).

Here's what I ended up with on my 71 izzy.

m0ondoggy
Looks like my trunion before I drilled out the old rivets......

CAB

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rivets

Just put in my order with AK Builder. Earlier this afternoon I sent a money order to Michael for rivet head forming dies. Now I can do the trunion the correct way with swell neck rivets and heads on both sides, excellent........You guys made my day..........

CAB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts