AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thinner 24mm grip appears to be the much more common of the two. What specific Russian AK's were issued with the thicker 29mm grip? My guess would be the RPK, but that's just a guess? Can somebody please educate me?

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
j-rod said:
The thicker grips are/were originally on Type III (milled) rifles.
To my limited understanding of Russian AK's, the original AK-47's used milled receivers, while the later AKM's used stamped receivers. If both of our statements are correct, then the thicker 29mm grips were used on the earlier AK-47's. Correct or Incorrect?

And since we're talking about milled Russian AK's, did Russian RPK's have milled receivers or thicker (1.5mm) stamped receivers?

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK then.....I guess its safe to say the thicker laminate grip would be incorrect for a Russian AKM from any era, right?

· Registered
8,159 Posts
The Russian 1955-dated RPK with the milled receiver does have a thicker grip but it's not laminated wood - appears to be of the old hardwood checkered variety. But I believe it was a simply a prototype and was never actually fielded. Just sitting in the museum now. I think those particular type of grips were also sometimes used on the old PK's, as well.

You'd be fine with the thicker grip on your Type III clone project. Seems the earlier rifles - from the Type I to the some Type III's had the hardwood, checkered grip that was thicker.

Use your thinner laminated grip on your AKM. But note that there's actually several varying thicknesses of the laminated grip. There's one grip that has the thickness that's in-between the thickness of the usually found fatter one (as with the Type III's) and the commonly found thinner ones (found on the later AKM's). I observed two or three of these "mid-thickness" grips on the earlier AKM's.

I'll try to get some photos of the three different thickness laminated grips side-by-side.

· Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any photos would be great.....

After some consideration, I'm thinking that I may leave my (SGL-21 to AKM) conversion as is with the bakelite grip, and go ahead and use one of my thicker 29mm laminate grips for an (SGL-21 to AKMS) conversion.

I have large hands, so the combination of a thinner 24mm grip, with its lack of checkering, makes it less than pleasant to grip while shooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.