AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got one from Sportsmans Guide.

Looks brand new, has some kind of white powder on the inside and outside, looks like it may be for the rubber. Also came with a small can with what looks like thin filter papers in it, I think those go between the filter and mask when you put a new filter on.

Anyone have any idea on the effectiveness of these? Instructions on how to use them so I can be 100% sure?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
The powder is to keep the rubber from sticking together during storage.

If your filter is not expired, it should work as designed. However, these masks are surplus, and most filters have or are very close to exceeding their shelf life. Expired filters can be harmful to your health when used, so if in doubt, replace it.

The tin you describe should contain a few clear plastic lenses between the papers. These are for the eye glass, to help prevent fogging.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait... so you don't use the papers, you use the plastic?

1. How do you check the date on the filter (the filters look brand new as the paint on them is shiney and the stampings look fresh).

2. How do you use the plastic things on the eyepieces.

3. How do the filters become harmful, besides possibly letting toxins go unfiltered?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know this? Are you sure you didn't just have old filters?

I do not have the money to blow on a $80 mask. Yeah I know the whole "what is your life worth" speech, but I fail to see how this mask is so crappy or how the filters are so crappy as to not work for more than "smoke". These are not cheap filters, the can is strong and they are finished nicely as well as have some interesting filters inside. If they wanted a cheap life saving mask, why not make it from aluminum and cloth?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One person says they suck and another says they work if they have recent filters.

1. Anyone know the truth?

2. Anyone understand Russian codes enough to tell me the dates on the filters? One has a M in a triangle and the number "111-80-117" by it, and above that is stamped rn-5. It is in Cryllic, the big upside down L thing and the upside down u thing.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What cracks?

Well ok lets say a bunch of anthrax and chlorine gas was in the air. If I had this Russian gas mask on with a new filter, would it work, and how much time would I have.

What of the used US M-17 gas mask with new sealed filter?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would the M-17 filter out chlorine gas?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok lets talk old school. Mustard gas. Simple neurotoxins.

Assuming the Soviet filter works- what common agents will it filter- and realistically no shit how long would it last.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, ok, I get it.

The M-17 mask... how much time. I assume it depends on the filter, so I'll ask how much does a REALLY good filter cost for that mask, and how long do I have?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know this is pissing you off, but I just want something for reasonable protection. Do you have the PPM and time ratio for the filters for the M-17? And the PPM of certain toxins like anthrax or mustard gas or whatever a terrorist might use in a bio/chem weapon?

Oh... and it's called NBC. NUCLEAR, Biological, Chemichal. Won't radiation just go through the rubber? Does it filter out radioactive chemichals, or does it do something special that I don't get?

How would this do?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=243471

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So lets say I have one of the unopened bio-chem suits... charcoal and all that. So that, with military boots sealed with tape, and black rubber chemichal gloves with latex ones underneath, and the M-17 mask... would that be a good setup for escaping an attack?

How much are the hoods?

So if there is a fire, I will use the Russian mask with the new filter so I can spend more time in the smoke in order to save my guns. If there are real chemichals, I will use the M-17 (which I have yet to order).

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Back when i was a mechanic one of out biggest accounts the owner had an old RV that he had towed to our shop, anyway the thing had the worst funk smell i have ever smelled in my entire life and access to the engine was from inside :puke: I tried using a paint respirator and i could still smell it, all the other mechanic's refused to step inside of this thing, everytime i entered the RV i would gag to where i had to run out of it. Now the thing is i couldnt tell the owner to fuck off ur RV smells like shit because he was a source of 5K min. per week. One of the mechanics said u need a gas mask, so i went to the local army surplus and bought an Israeli gas mask and that did the trick. I did a full tuneup and under dash electrical work with a gas mask on. LOL i will never forget it. McM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts