AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some photos comparing a true-black (not dark plum) Russian AK-74 mag and .223 Saiga mag that I thought I'd share.

The silver "h" ink stamp is on opposite sides of each mag. This is also the case with the Izhevsk mark & the "mold number". Also note the difference between the 2 different styles of the Izhevsk markings.

Notice the sharp corner on the top right of the .223 Saiga mag and the absence of a slot for the stipper clip charger.

The mag catch tab on the Saiga .223 mag is significantly thicker than the black AK-74 mag.

The front lip on the Saiga .223 mag sticks up so far that it will not insert into a rifle that has a built-in bullet guide.

Notice the differences in the follower shape and the way the front of the .223 Saiga mag feed lips is more narrow than the AK-74M mag.

It looks like they have changed the reinforcing ribs on the floorplates too.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
mags

Ive got a 7.62 saiga mag marked like your'e 223 but it's still sealed in original plastic wrap so i don't have pictures.My freind would make 223 guns with a 30 cal trunion & modify 74 mags & they worked perfect.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Excuse me for the silly question but will a Saiga mag fit a regular AKM / ak74 ?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words, TheBulge.

Jerod - Saiga mags won't fit into regular AKM/AK74 without modification. I haven't tried it yet, but from what I've seen and heard that amounts to reprofiling the front lip and fitting the rear tab to the rifle's mag catch. The .223 mag in the photo is also too wide to fit into several "normal" AK mag wells. A little sanding on the sides would fix that though.

wingnut308 - I don't know if Izhmash makes .223/5.56 stripper clips or not.

The Izhmash website appears to show stripper clips in a photo named "AK-102"

Another explanation for the missing stripper clip guide slots might be that Izhmash leaves them off of their "civilian" rifle mags.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
mag

I don't beleive the russians make stripper clips for 223, they don't use 223.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Mike_F is right, I have two of these 30rnd Saiga mags. Modified one to fit my Saiga/AK102. Frontend of the maglips need extensive work, the front lip needed a bit of reprofiling and the tab on the back needed a lot of work.

These mags are reenforced with steel, took me about two hours of carefull dremeling to get it right. Decided to leave the other one new in the wrapper.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
mags

I have a freind that took my saiga[got it when they first came out]just for the gas block to restore & use it with a fsb i did have to make a 223 gun, with no modifications to the 30 cal. trunion or feed lip,using a 74 mag on the gun.He did make 2 semi circle cuts on the feed lips on the mag to get the shoulders of the 223 rounds to jump up higher in the front to feed .This was back before k-var or any other importer of parts.So any thing can be done.It was as close to a 74 as you could get back then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts