AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a distinction between ones made for AKMs and 74s? I have seen alot of different colors, but cant tell what PG are for each type of Rifle. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
If there is I don't know of one! Try Stottman! he da man!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stottman said:
Basically, no.. THere are some small subtle differences in differnet eras, but early 74 and late AKM production overlaps anyway.
Ok so the AK74s used the same Bakelite (and wood) PGs until plum came along?....and how do I know what the later bakelite looks like?

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
That would be the shiny plumb grips,Stottman do you have any avaliable?

·
Registered
894 Posts
JOHNO said:
The shiny plum grips (used on AKS74s and Krinks) are different from the "normal" AKM/early AK74 grips, which are often called maroon grips. Besides the color, they are slightly different sizes.

The maroon grips come in a range of colors, some approaching the shiny plum grip color, but the maroon grips are slightly bigger.

·
Registered
791 Posts
JOHNO said:
I grabbed one from him last summer, now I'm stuck trying to decide which project to put it on.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
They seem to be the hardest part to find,I have one I bought from Finnbear and finally picked up another one from Stottman a few months ago.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Here's a photo showing the differences between the maroon & shiny plum grips.

Besides the color difference, notice how the shiny plum grip fits the reinforcng plate under the receiver and the maroon grip overhangs it both front and back (arrows).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts