AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you mag experts out there--are the Izzy and Tula "bakelite" magazines actually manufactured from bakelite
or are they fiberglass or some variation thereof? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I have read that its called AGS-4 glass reinforced thermoplastic, but I do not know how the sources of that info know that. There are many kinds of Bakelite, and many have a fiber reinforcing like cloth, paper, or glass, so it could be considered "bakelite" as far as I can tell but weather or not a "theremoplastic" qualifies for that title might be the difference.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
For most discussions, Bakelite and glass reinforced thermoplastic are "kissing cousins" as they are both considered plastics and both use fibers and formed under heat and pressure. Just Bakelite uses some Phenol formaldehyde makeup versus polymer for the thermoplastic.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Just Bakelite uses some Phenol formaldehyde makeup versus polymer for the thermoplastic.
Thats the difference, and pretty substantial in my mind. I have quite a few WWII German items and electronic components made from Bakelite. Difference is quite obvious to me.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Thats the difference, and pretty substantial in my mind. I have quite a few WWII German items and electronic components made from Bakelite. Difference is quite obvious to me.
Of course they are different but they are both considered part of the plastic family and have more similarities than differences. Both Bakelite and reinforce thermoplastic can vary in a wide spectrum themselves and even from batch to batch of the same item depending on mixture ratios and difference of the binders that are used.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Would the Russian mixtures/ratios make the Russian "bakelites" any stonger/brittle/etc. than the E. German 74 bakelites, for example?!?
I've wondered about the strengh of these bakelite mags myself before and what they are made of.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Without access to the original R+D reports, or testing by an independent lab, any opinion about the relative strengths of Soviet v. DDR would be anecdotal.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Would the Russian mixtures/ratios make the Russian "bakelites" any stonger/brittle/etc. than the E. German 74 bakelites, for example?!?
I've wondered about the strengh of these bakelite mags myself before and what they are made of.

Like Richard W mentioned, without proper testing, it will be anecdotal or speculative. That being said and to give my WAG opinion, I would speculate the E. German mags would consistently rate higher to holding the manufacturing specifications and build quality per engineering design than the Russians.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I would speculate the E. German mags would consistently rate higher to holding the manufacturing specifications and build quality per engineering design than the Russians.
Im gonna have to agree with this. The Germans were/are very anal people and have always made higher quality products then other country's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts