AK Rifles banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm late to this hobby but have fallen in love with it. I've pulled a ton of information from all of you guys through the archives and the biggest annoyance is that a lot of the pictures that were posted are no longer available/expired. So I have been piecing things together through different threads and digging for information. I think that is one of the best parts of the AK; all the knowledge, history, and variations to absorb. I started with ARs, then I discovered AKs and realized just how boring ARs are comparatively, and just how deep the AK rabbit hole goes (of which I haven't event scratched the surface).

As a newbie, I appreciate all the past discussions and hope there will be future ones. I've notices in other places like Facebook and Instagram and even Reddit that the convo is very surface. I just don't see the love for the history in those places, more just showing off cool mods, etc.

In other news, I am super pumped to be building two '68 RGuns Kits soon; 1 Tula and 1 Izzy. Getting the final pieces together as we speak. Here's the wood:

https://imgur.com/a/F0G2VHb

Both have LHG#s and are all matching. The Tula has a RSL# Matching and a Hen Scratched Top Cover. 22many, I think I saw you had a similar hen scratched kit I took a screenshot of from a long buried forum. I'm just looking to swap a Tula RSB for an Izzy RSB on my 68 Izzy kit, that is what I bought the 2 from Apex for; rolling the dice to see if I get lucky as I can't seem to find anyone to trade.

Can't wait to have these done but trying to do them right and as true to the originals as I can so it's taking some time.
This is what I like to see! New people interested in learning about the ak. So much history in these rifles that I wish I knew the stories behind them. There is definitely a lot of info here along with a lot of misinformation that members have tried to set straight. Doug, Jerry, Jon, Mike, Steve and countless others have added so much to this hobby that had it not been for them and their dedication and knowledge this hobby wouldn’t be where it is.

Those kits are beautiful! They will build up very nice. Both those kits are top quality! Seeing what has came out of rguns over the years those are definitely better than 90%-95% of what was standard. My kit after 5 years I built into a rifle. After tracking down the correct tula parts, oversized virgin old school romy barrel and 74ullc receiver, I finally built it. The hen scratching is pretty rare so feel lucky that you have it! Thread to my build is here:

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/29-russian/303855-68-tula.html

Really looking forward to what you get from copes. At the price it’s not too bad of a deal considering it’s russian parts. Even when those trunnionless kits came out years ago they were $400.

Also, when you get tired of digging for info here on the forum, pm me. There is kinda a “unofficial akforum photobucket” account that has 5000-10,000 pics in it. Great for reference!

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
I've got zero interest in those over-priced kits without a trunnion. That's like buying a numbers matching '69 Camaro without an engine. It just ruins the whole thing. The trunnion is kind of like the heart of the AK, since it bears the full serial, maker's mark, and year of manufacture. Just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've got zero interest in those over-priced kits without a trunnion. That's like buying a numbers matching '69 Camaro without an engine. It just ruins the whole thing. The trunnion is kind of like the heart of the AK, since it bears the full serial, maker's mark, and year of manufacture. Just my opinion, though.
Yep, no trunnion, no bueno.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just my opinion
Iv never been a fan of Russian akms because they’re painted
After putting the 69 together I only test fired it and put it away.
Chopped it in half and sold it a couple weeks ago ... maybe he’ll like it.
Mr. Nobody I don’t like the kit you sold me at all. I LOVE it. It may not be perfect but it is very nice. All matching numbers. Only thing missing to make it 100% is no LHG and sight leaf number. The wood is in better shape than my hand select kits! Also the Romy barrel does have a small partial (y) mark. BONUS! The only thing that not correct is the FSB is a milled Izzy.

For me this was the cherry on top, as both of my 68 kits came with cast FSB’s. Thanks to you I can get started on having these built. I’ll probably attempt to build it myself since you already did the so much.
I can’t say thank enough!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is what I like to see! New people interested in learning about the ak. So much history in these rifles that I wish I knew the stories behind them. There is definitely a lot of info here along with a lot of misinformation that members have tried to set straight. Doug, Jerry, Jon, Mike, Steve and countless others have added so much to this hobby that had it not been for them and their dedication and knowledge this hobby wouldn’t be where it is.

Those kits are beautiful! They will build up very nice. Both those kits are top quality! Seeing what has came out of rguns over the years those are definitely better than 90%-95% of what was standard. My kit after 5 years I built into a rifle. After tracking down the correct tula parts, oversized virgin old school romy barrel and 74ullc receiver, I finally built it. The hen scratching is pretty rare so feel lucky that you have it! Thread to my build is here:

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/29-russian/303855-68-tula.html

Really looking forward to what you get from copes. At the price it’s not too bad of a deal considering it’s russian parts. Even when those trunnionless kits came out years ago they were $400.

Also, when you get tired of digging for info here on the forum, pm me. There is kinda a “unofficial akforum photobucket” account that has 5000-10,000 pics in it. Great for reference!
Thanks! I didn't realize the hen scratching was rare so that is an added plus. It made me nervous when I bought it as I hadn't seen it before and was worried it was fake. Then I found the pics of your kit before it was built. Hadn't seen the final photos. Looks amazing! Can't wait to build mine up.

Definitely falling in love and definitely new. Also definitely wish I had gotten in sooner as the prices are climbing and I hear what people paid previously and I have envy. I'd love a 74ullc receiver, but I've heard the wait time is very long and its difficult to even get in touch. I am trying to get my hands on a Recreator and reached out to Matt about some custom work (squared off x+y, larger welds, and possibly a smaller mag dimple) but I haven't gotten a response in awhile. I guess everyone is just slammed; which is a good thing for AKs overall.

I'll post some pics of the RSB's I get next week. Shipping says they will come in Monday. I should mention I did specifically buy Milled RSBs from them since that is what I am looking for. So I am assuming they will come from kits '68 and earlier.

I've been thinking about giving APEX a call to ask them about their Russian kits. Specifically if they are from a specific year range, how they are paired, and other specifics. They are usually very helpful if they have the info. But as everyone else has noted, without the trunnion, what fun is there? That is where all the character lies in my opinion. Though, it is always fun hunting for proofmarks, the average observer doesn't appreciate those as we do. So for some kind of validation amongst my non-AK loving friends, that trunnion helps.

I'd love to get in on that picture archive. I've been hunting pics constantly and have a ton saved. It would be great to see what is in the archive. I even got my hands on Vickers AK Vol 1 recently to see more. I have only found a few ok (at best) pictures of an original '68 Tula AKM. If anyone has one I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This community is amazing. Can't agree with yall more when you say the IQ of people goes down the farther away you get from the forum. I try to get people that are really interested in the AK that I see on Reddit to check this forum out. Hopefully at least one has. The knowledge you all possess is amazing and something to marvel at. Forums like this one are the reason I decided to go with a kit for my 2nd AK instead of a modern built one. I sent my 88' kit from Rguns off to Brendyn a while ago but haven't gotten it back yet. Hopefully he'll get caught up so I can see my rifle complete! I try to get on and peruse the forum at least once a week to soak up all the knowledge you guys spit out.

Kit as I configured it, that I got from Rguns:
kpxea2fwhnf21.jpg
Rguns matching 1988 Izhmash kit
NOS Russian 4.5mm folding stock trunnion
Used 4.5mm Izhmash folding stock
Kvar CHF 5.45 barrel
Weaponmark selector marking stencils (not pictured)
ReCreator ‘88 receiver
Collector's Source RMP3 Rail

Scope I snagged up for it as well:

RPG scope1.jpg

·
Banned
565 Posts
This community is amazing. Can't agree with yall more when you say the IQ of people goes down the farther away you get from the forum. I try to get people that are really interested in the AK that I see on Reddit to check this forum out.
Reddit is the kindergarten short bus of gun conversations. I didn't believe how awful it was until I saw it myself. Nearly every AK thread is some guy with a WASR looking for pats on the back for a pic with new UTG plastic furniture on it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That may not be the best for it as it was made for RPG Try and get a kalinka in caliber you need

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
As far as authenticity, the ideal scope for your rifle is a 1P29. The RPG-type scopes were utilized in Afghanistan during the early years of the war - along with converted Mosin Nagant sniper scopes - as stop-gap optics solutions when supplies of purpose-built AK74 combat optics were still scarce, but would be an odd sight by '88+.

Reactions: Moq

·
Registered
89 Posts
Reddit is the kindergarten short bus of gun conversations. I didn't believe how awful it was until I saw it myself. Nearly every AK thread is some guy with a WASR looking for pats on the back for a pic with new UTG plastic furniture on it.
You’re not wrong. I hate the amount of “NEW TOME WASR 10” posts, but you can also get some gems, mostly from the people that post them here first and then Reddit.

Reactions: russian_bot_5791

·
Registered
89 Posts
That may not be the best for it as it was made for RPG Try and get a kalinka in caliber you need
I definitely want to acquire more scopes for it once the rifle is complete. I just thought the picture of the Russian soldier with an RPG scope on his rifle was a cool thing, and I scooped my optic with a close date to my rifle and all accessories for a good price.

I’ll be looking to get a 1P29 if I can find a vintage one around the same year as my rifle. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
I’ll be looking to get a 1P29 if I can find a vintage one around the same year as my rifle. :)
Not sure how you'll be able to tell, the scopes aren't dated. Only date indication would be the inspection stamps in the manuals that are included with a full rig and accessories. What would matter is whether the production was military (marked 1P29 with hammer/sickle symbol) or commercial (UPO-1 with triangle symbol of optics factory).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure how you'll be able to tell, the scopes aren't dated. Only date indication would be the inspection stamps in the manuals that are included with a full rig and accessories. What would matter is whether the production was military (marked 1P29 with hammer/sickle symbol) or commercial (UPO-1 with triangle symbol of optics factory).
I guess it'll be even harder than i thought!

If nothing else I would like a military one and not a commercial one.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The apex kits are a wide range of years, I have been dealing with them on various parts and kits and have been really happy. They supplied me a slick Yugo M70 barreled kit.

I have grown tired of piecing stuff together. That’s why I didn’t move on their Russian kits, if you buy one you could find a trunnion to use. Why not try Vlado.

My last russian builds I have planned are based on Rguns or PLO kits. I have some spare receivers waiting for kits one day too.

I still have lots of cool AK’s to build (non Russian) but even collectible kits seem to be hard to find. I let a couple go to fund my “other” gun collection. While not 100% related, here is the M70 kit I got from them, all original finish by the way. I got my Yugo fix by building this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Why not try Vlado.
I would be less hesitant to buy one of the Apex kits if I knew exactly what I would be getting. I inquired about if the Tula kits come with a milled or cast gas block (both are pictured in their ad) and was told "what you see is what you get." Huh? Not worth the risk on top of no trunnion. I nabbed a 1975 Tula kit today at a cost just a little bit more than the Apex offerings and it comes with front trunnion.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Mr. Nobody I don’t like the kit you sold me at all. I LOVE it. It may not be perfect but it is very nice. All matching numbers. Only thing missing to make it 100% is no LHG and sight leaf number. The wood is in better shape than my hand select kits! Also the Romy barrel does have a small partial (y) mark. BONUS! The only thing that not correct is the FSB is a milled Izzy.

For me this was the cherry on top, as both of my 68 kits came with cast FSB’s. Thanks to you I can get started on having these built. I’ll probably attempt to build it myself since you already did the so much.
I can’t say thank enough!
Cool man
Glad your happy
The stock came with it but I got nos hand guards from Russian surplus because the lower has a big scrape on one side ... it didn’t come with a numbered one.
BTW
That barrel is a 1979

·
Registered
230 Posts
Seems like some APEX customers have had success with getting what they wanted by writing their request on the comments section of the order, or by asking the customer service people to find what they are after.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I wonder how many of them they have sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'm thinking of getting one of the Tula kits now. I bought a complete 1975 "Tula" kit on Gunbroker which turned out to be all izzy except the Tula trunnion...so, I need Tula parts.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts