AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I purchased one of the apex Russian akm w/o a trunnion. The serial number is CP 9642 and am wondering if anyone can help me date the parts kit.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
For a starter, Izzy Rifles switched to an all numerical serial number in mid 1972, so it has to be prior to that if it is an Izzy kit. Also some of the batch codes (the two letters of the serial number) were recycled every few years. So can be hard to tell from the the serial number alone. Can you post pics of the kit. Also is the kit matching seral numbers on most of the parts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No refurb mark on the stock or dings or damage. Parts all look to be brand new. Stock has side mounted sling loop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks like you have a Tula gas tube.
Tula serial numbers with a prefix go up to 74.
Could you take a picture of the left side of the top cover?
Also a close up of the front sight base rear, front and bottom. You have a cast FSB but not sure if it’s Tula. Is there any proof marks on the rear lighting cut? Triangles or circles?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you tell the difference between a tula and an Izhevsk gas tub. The gas tube has the same serial number as the rest of the parts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Tula has a smaller tab that hooks into the bottom of the rear sight base and the numbers font.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is the fsb Izzy? Can’t see the front lighting cut very well. I think I see a partial diamond on the rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The markings are to faint to tell what the are. The bottom marking looks more like a one on the fsb. Thank you for your help. 70 tula not bad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to build it on a firing line receiver since I dont have the trunnion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doing some research and I dont think this is a Tula. I have a 1968 Tula parts kit that I have put up due to the receiver shortage. Yes there is a big difference in the lug that locks into the rsb. There is also a big difference in finish. The letters in the serial number was phased out around 1973. I'm assuming this is a 1971 or 1972 due to the sling being on the side of the stock and not on the bottom. Definitely an Izhevsk when compared to a Tula.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You could use a virgin Romanian trunnion with a normal receiver if you want it to be more authentic.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You may have a mix of Tula and Izzy parts. The top cover is definitely Tula 69 on up. Izzy’s top cover’s lower reinforcement goes all the way to the rear. Tula’s did also until they transitioned to this style sometime during 69. Gas tube is also Tula , small tab and look at the number 4. The Tula font is different than Izzy. 69 is also when the gas tube tab changed to the smaller tab.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can you take some pics of the other parts with a serial number on them?
Recoil assembly, selector axle and selector thumb pad?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It is what it is. I was just looking for a date of manufacture. Not really worried about it as it is going to be built on a milled receiver anyways. I have a 68 tula kit that I'm going to build the traditional way. This was bought because I purchased a firing line milled receiver off gunbroker for a polish build and didn't see it was marked Russian. Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts