AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stottman has listed his Russian 1979 AK74n build on GunBroker. Was built with parts from a DEACT. Will be real interesting to see what this go for. Build was done by Mario at POH. Looks super nice. I posted a bid with all the gun money I currently have, it makes you want to get out the credit card...

· Registered
1,048 Posts
Stottman said:
Even using the low estimation of a $500 kit, it would still cost:

$500 kit
$150 barrel and bolt
$90 for receiver
$40 for US parts
$300 for build and engraving
$200 refinish
$200 new stock set.
$1480.
Yeah, I know the price wouldn't be killer savings or anything, there is just a lot of picky guys out there who would think a Russian bolt would be a big deal to have in the rifle. There is also the chance that the 74 kits are from new rifles, like the Tula krinks were, so the stock set could come in really good shape.

I'm kinda the outsider here, I don't think these cut barrel Russian kits are anything special. This build from a deact is basically the same thing. I'd take an SGL31 over either of these.

But good luck with your auction, I'm sure you'll get a good price for it since there are guys shelling out big bucks for stuff like that. You always have some sweet stuff for sale, wish I had more money available right now.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
I'm torn between this rifle and the beautiful Galil Stottman is selling as well......God! :grin:

· Registered
1,474 Posts
dskeet said:
Stottman said:

$500 kit
$150 barrel and bolt
$90 for receiver
$40 for US parts
$200 refinish
$200 new stock set.
$1480.
Yeah, I know the price wouldn't be killer savings or anything, there is just a lot of picky guys out there who would think a Russian bolt would be a big deal to have in the rifle. There is also the chance that the 74 kits are from new rifles, like the Tula krinks were, so the stock set could come in really good shape.

I'm kinda the outsider here, I don't think these cut barrel Russian kits are anything special. This build from a deact is basically the same thing. I'd take an SGL31 over either of these.

But good luck with your auction, I'm sure you'll get a good price for it since there are guys shelling out big bucks for stuff like that. You always have some sweet stuff for sale, wish I had more money available right now.
With all respect, SGL31s are a dime a dozen. There isn't anything special or collectible about them. They're just wannabe AK-74Ms, built from converted Saiga civilian sporters. To somebody with a collector's eye, they don't even much resemble the 74Ms people wish they were. Sure, they are fine weapons, but unique they will never be.

On the flipside of the coin, an all matching Izhmash AK-74 kit is something most people could go 20 years without ever seeing up close..maybe that will change if the rumors of inbound Izzy kits turn out to be true. That remains to be seen. Anyway, these aren't Saiga parts..these are from a "real" Russian-issue field rifle. I can count on one hand the number of 74s I've seen that are built from a kit like this. For that matter, Izhmash Afghan-era 74 parts, such as the half-moon brake, RSB, FSB, GB, carrier, cover, and so on, are about as rare as hens teeth. I can remember one time in the last few years when a number of these parts actually showed up for sale. You just don't see them, period. So an all matching AK-74 kit, to a collector anyway, is a damn near one in a million thing..Bulgarian replacement barrel or not.

No lecture intended. You're not an outsider for wanting to be a shooter instead of a collector. Nothing wrong with that. My point is only that a rifle like Stottman's will be worth it to a lot of guys, as I know you recognize, solely because of the uniqueness it has going for it. If I had the coin, that 74N would be mine in 11 days.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
Andyman said:
I'm torn between this rifle and the beautiful Galil Stottman is selling as well......God! :grin:

Seriously. I believe that SAR is built by Tenngalil. He is sort of the Ted Marshall of Galil builds..I love the right-side lightening cuts he adds. They look awesome.

· Registered
3,098 Posts
mco119 said:
Andyman said:

Seriously. I believe that SAR is built by Tenngalil. He is sort of the Ted Marshall of Galil builds..I love the right-side lightening cuts he adds. They look awesome.
It is and yes they do! :grin:

· Registered
4,732 Posts
I must be on the outside of thinking here but honestly. If I had a chance to buy a Russian AKM kit with nice wood It would be more appealing to me then a Russian 74 build. Granted these are on the rare side as most Russian 74's sold right now are Sgl's or Saiga sporter builds. I own a nice matching Bulgarian so I'm happy :) It should go to a very nice home though :grin:

· Registered
1,808 Posts
with all due respect, an SGL31 is just as authentic or even more so. Has RUSSIAN receiver, russian bolt, carrier, BARREL and FSB and gasblock, HG retainer, etc etc. More authentic than a kit gun on a US made reciever w/ a barrel and bolt from another countrys rifle.

But, it is a very nice KIT build. The rear site base and the late 70's gas block and FSB are cool.

it's kinda like the FAL guys.. the pre-ban factory rifles are worth more than kit builds for a reason, Authenticity. And soon, we are gonna get a bunch of russian de-mil 74's in country. So it is wise for him to sell this now while there is stll some "rare-ness" to it.

And it will fill someones need to have a complete timeline of ak74's (like myself(

· Registered
1,048 Posts
mco119 said:
dskeet said:
Stottman said:

$500 kit
$150 barrel and bolt
$90 for receiver
$40 for US parts
$200 refinish
$200 new stock set.
$1480.

With all respect, SGL31s are a dime a dozen. There isn't anything special or collectible about them. They're just wannabe AK-74Ms, built from converted Saiga civilian sporters. To somebody with a collector's eye, they don't even much resemble the 74Ms people wish they were. Sure, they are fine weapons, but unique they will never be.

On the flipside of the coin, an all matching Izhmash AK-74 kit is something most people could go 20 years without ever seeing up close..maybe that will change if the rumors of inbound Izzy kits turn out to be true. That remains to be seen. Anyway, these aren't Saiga parts..these are from a "real" Russian-issue field rifle. I can count on one hand the number of 74s I've seen that are built from a kit like this. For that matter, Izhmash Afghan-era 74 parts, such as the half-moon brake, RSB, FSB, GB, carrier, cover, and so on, are about as rare as hens teeth. I can remember one time in the last few years when a number of these parts actually showed up for sale (I bought them). You just don't see them, period. So an all matching AK-74 kit, to a collector anyway, is a damn near one in a million thing..Bulgarian replacement barrel or not.

No lecture intended. You're not an outsider for wanting to be a shooter instead of a collector. Nothing wrong with that. My point is only that a rifle like Stottman's will be worth it to a lot of guys, as I know you recognize, solely because of the uniqueness it has going for it. If I had the coin, that 74N would be mine in 11 days.
Oh yeah, I understand the collector aspect. I jus thave a hard time getting into the cut barrel stamped kits. The less original parts that are used in the rifle, I can't help but start looking at the rifle in a fashion like "what it is" vs "what it was." It's like what point can it still be called Russian when it has to have the 5 or so US parts and a barrel from "somewhere."

The reweld milled builds are the only expensive kit guns I get into. Just paid $1200 for a matching T2 kit. I like those because the receiver will be US made, but it will carry over 2/3 of the original one and like 90% of the original markings on it(engraved recreations never look right to me, since originals are mostly stamped not engraved. Engraved replica proof marks always look way more perfect than originals). Aside from the receiver, it'll have a US FCG. I like this option because it literally is a close as one can get to an original Soviet AK.

Like I said, I'm the outsider with this point of view. Someone will pay big bucks for Stottmans rifle and be thrilled with it.. good for them :beer:

· Registered
1,474 Posts
moshaholic2 said:
with all due respect, an SGL31 is just as authentic or even more so. Has RUSSIAN receiver, russian bolt, carrier, BARREL and FSB and gasblock, HG retainer, etc etc. More authentic than a kit gun on a US made reciever w/ a barrel and bolt from another countrys rifle...

And soon, we are gonna get a bunch of russian de-mil 74's in country. So it is wise for him to sell this now while there is stll some "rare-ness" to it.
Don't think I'm engaging in any kind of argument here, but authenticity isn't the question being discussed. The rareness of the parts is what makes a rifle like this so expensive. Saiga parts are everywhere, Izhmash Afghan-era 74 parts aren't. Yes, SGL31s have many authentic Izhmash parts, though certainly they're not real 74Ms by any stretch of the imagination. Again, having "real" Russian parts isn't what jacks up the cost, but rather the scarcity of the parts does. Supply and demand and all that noise.

As for the US getting a bunch of "Russian de-mil 74s" soon, that is still just a rumor. We've heard stuff like this over and over. It may well happen this time, but I'd say the jury is still out. Even if people on this side of the pond are "sure" the kits are coming in, the folks on the other end, or in between, may well still throw a huge wrench in things. We'll have to see.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
dskeet said:
Just paid $1200 for a matching T2 kit. I like those because the receiver will be US made, but it will carry over 2/3 of the original one and like 90% of the original markings on it(engraved recreations never look right to me, since originals are mostly stamped not engraved. Engraved replica proof marks always look way more perfect than originals). Aside from the receiver, it'll have a US FCG. I like this option because it literally is a close as one can get to an original Soviet AK.

Like I said, I'm the outsider with this point of view. Someone will pay big bucks for Stottmans rifle and be thrilled with it.. good for them :beer:
And a nice T-2 kit it is :grin: I remember seeing pics of it. Should make for a great build.

· Registered
185 Posts
I gues it all depends on what you like. That is one fine looking rifle and would be a good addition to either shoot or collect.

I have an SGL 31 and would also love to have this little piece of history that shoots, even with the US receiver and Bulgy barrel. Maybe if my NV sells I will bid. Good luck to Stottman with his sale.

· Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dskeet said:
With the rumor of Russian 74 kits on the way, I'd hold off on shelling out big bucks for that(since the krink kits turned out to be true).. even though it is super nice.

If the AK74 kits do make it into the collector market, the odds are there will not be any kits with such an early date code. This was the last year that the Russians used the 4 digit date code on the barrel trunnion. Also the rifle is built, no waiting on the smith. Is very tempting...

· Registered
1,318 Posts
not gonna lie, wish i had the coin, and would've had i know this would be on the market... i'd buy it in a heartbeat...

I love saiga's, but they're just that.... import rifles...

it's like comparing a WASR to a ROMY G kit (or non G) ... cept of course on a different level...

same rifle, same round, same country, but i'd take a G kit any day over a wasr...

· Registered
1,474 Posts
jithaca said:
dskeet said:
With the rumor of Russian 74 kits on the way, I'd hold off on shelling out big bucks for that(since the krink kits turned out to be true).. even though it is super nice.

If the AK74 kits do make it into the collector market, the odds are there will not be any kits with such an early date code. This was the last year that the Russians used the 4 digit date code on the barrel trunnion. Also the rifle is built, no waiting on the smith. Is very tempting...

The rumor I've heard is that the import kits are dated '85-'88. We won't know, of course, whether this is the case, until the kits actually show up...if they come in at all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.