AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to share the pile of Russian magazines I've been lucky enough to have acquired over the last couple years. Other than an uber rare few, I only need to learn about the bakelite variations to further my collection from here. Hope you enjoy.

3 examples of the slab side. Blued with electro pencil marks, enameled without pencil markings, and a parkerized refurb:

Early (straight back rib) Izhmash back stamp, early Izhmash spine stamp, and late (90° back rib) Izhmash spine stamp. Both early versions are blued, and the late is enamel:

Izhmash side stamp, both small and large logo:

Izhmash aluminum waffle and 40 round RPK spine stamp:

Izhmash plastics. Late version long-top bakelite, AK 103/104 smooth black slab and channel side:

Tula early spine stamp, late spine stamp, and early version long-top bakelite:

Molot steel RPK 40 round and 75 round drum:

And Molot RPK plastic with the star in shield, without, and scrubbed with unusual mold lines:

If I could just find an Izzy plum waffle and aluminum 40 round waffle...

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Very nice collection! I especially appreciate the high quality close snap shots of the proofs/numbers, they're some of the best I've seen

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Very nice presentation and collection. I am sure the smooth side AK-103 mag is raiseing a few members heart rates, including mine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Awesome collection, thanks for sharing.

May I ask if the true Ak103/104 magazines are just rare in the US or are they considered rare even in Russia?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Awesome collection, thanks for sharing.

May I ask if the true Ak103/104 magazines are just rare in the US or are they considered rare even in Russia?
I'm curious to know as well. My assumption would be that they're rare in Russia as the 103/104 was made primarily for export and is not in general use. But I've no idea.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Dang Greg...yer over the top on these...superb job on an excellent collection...Elliot...the plum waffles were a development that occurred in the early to mid 80's that never really seemed to get off the ground...in general they were developed for certain and specific guns and were probably or most likely contemporary with the bakelites with bakelites being the transition between ribbed steel and the current smooth and ribbed 103 types (ribbed being the earlier type)...my explanation here is attempting to put a definite trend of development on something the Ruskies quite often weren't concerned with...:wink:...if you try to study up on the time line and development/transition of these things it can get confusing as all get out...

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
my plum 545 waffle prototype that came out of Russia had the same early internal specs slightly narrower same as my 20rd 545 Russian bakelite prototype. neither mag has a logo and both have Cyrillic. both are early gemometry thus I deduce they both may have been made quite early in 545 mag production before the mainstream mag variants in 545 with same standardized geometry hit. also both 545 oddballs are made of early materials like early stiffer plum and funny colored solid flake super glossy bakelite. the polymer isn't same as late plum polymer either its stiffer leading me to think they are not a product of the 80s and are just super early.

the soviets were toying with 545 ak products way back when. makes me wonder if these early plum 762 mags that pop up weren't a product of the same era and possibly didn't get produced since the plum polymer wasn't tough and flexible enough yet. they certainly bear the same design. having the black polymer waffle 762 mags of similar mold come out in 89 or so just gets confusing if that's the case.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
ive always thought they were mid 80s obviously but now I find reason to doubt in other words.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts