AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, did the Soviets/Russians use the same pouches for their 40 round mags / rpk gunners when they transitioned from 762 to 545, or did they come up with a new design when 545 came along? I'm trying to figure out which types are proper for each gen on RPK...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I believe the older 7.62 pouches do fit the later 5.45 mags but if memory serves correct they made 3 and two cell pouches later which might be the 5.45 version.

The older 7.62 mags have a good curve to them where as the newer 5.45 mags are much straighter.

I have recent Russian digi flora pouches for my Vepr 1V and these are indeed made to fit the 5.56/5.45 mags.

·
Banned
565 Posts
I believe the older 7.62 pouches do fit the later 5.45 mags but if memory serves correct they made 3 and two cell pouches later which might be the 5.45 version.

The older 7.62 mags have a good curve to them where as the newer 5.45 mags are much straighter.

I have recent Russian digi flora pouches for my Vepr 1V and these are indeed made to fit the 5.56/5.45 mags.
I bought what turned out to be a RPK-74 4-cell mag pouch for my RPK 7.62 40 round mags. They will fit but it's super tight - probably tighter than anyone serving in the field would want to use.

This 74 mag pouch is a darker green canvas with a lighter OD green strap that is the same canvas and color as the slings. It also has two extra smaller pockets on the front with the places to store empty stripper clips sewn inside them. If I could find a proper NOS Russian pouch for 40 round 7.62 mags, I'd swap this 74 mag pouch out in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I bought what turned out to be a RPK-74 4-cell mag pouch for my RPK 7.62 40 round mags. They will fit but it's super tight - probably tighter than anyone serving in the field would want to use.

This 74 mag pouch is a darker green canvas with a lighter OD green strap that is the same canvas and color as the slings. It also has two extra smaller pockets on the front with the places to store empty stripper clips sewn inside them. If I could find a proper NOS Russian pouch for 40 round 7.62 mags, I'd swap this 74 mag pouch out in a heartbeat.
The dedicated 545 pouches will have the stripper clip pockets. I would guess they would issue the RPK's with correct mags, pouches and accoutrements but that's just my best guess.

Here is a link to a mag pouch ID thread I did on the akfiles- https://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375539

·
Registered
5,408 Posts

AoA may still have Romy 4 compartment RPK pouches.

If not I should have a spare ak47 that I could trade/swap for your ak74.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts