AK Rifles banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I hope to have time this year to take good pics of a lot of builds and post them here. Also want to open up some of the KCA forum to every one in the way of a magazine or article based format with the capability of public comments. The KCA had been dead for a long time.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Ok, here's more, pretty much the same as the other 77 I posted but much more bitch slapped.

Yes, I know my gun has surface rust. I went hog hunting in the rain the other day.

1977 Izhmash AKMS non-PLO kit. This is a mixmaster of parts. Replacement parts on rifle are gas tube (tula), spring (tula), dust cover (izzy). Notable proof marks circled:

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Hog hunting with a rare Russian underfolder...gotta love it!

That recoil spring I would think would be mid 70s. Cast and its not “hooked”. I know early to mid 70s izzys had the hooked recoil. Tula was always behind izzy as far as manufacturing.

That’s my guess anyways.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hog hunting with a rare Russian underfolder...gotta love it!

That recoil spring I would think would be mid 70s. Cast and its not “hooked”. I know early to mid 70s izzys had the hooked recoil. Tula was always behind izzy as far as manufacturing.

That’s my guess anyways.
Its a great combo with the Dead Air PBS-1 can. I'll post a pic in the real deal/clone thread.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It is also worth noting that 1969 was a transitional year. From the switch to machined parts to cast. Late 69 is when we started seeing izzy rifles with more cast parts.

Handguard retainers. There are two. Machined and cast. You can see in the pics how sharply the machined handguard retainers is compared to the cast retainer.

The inside of the retainer you can see the machine marks on the machined retainer and the casting marks on the cast retainer. For izzy 68 and 69 rifles either would be correct. Izzy rifles that were produced in late 69 would be all cast retainers. Also, Tula was behind so 68 and 69 Tula rifles would be machined retainers.

I've never seen a difference in the 68-69 gas blocks. They all looked the same until the introduction of the cast block.

Cast gas block introduced on izzy rifles in 72 or 73.

This pic of selectors you can see some differances. The Tula selector is different on the bottom part. The "indent" on the bottom you can see isn't as big as the izzy counterparts. The 68 izzy selector has a wider "indent" than the 69 and 70s selectors. Notice the top 70s selector has a smaller shaped axle head.

The "axles" of the selectors. The cast selector at top with the casting line. The bottom rough selector is the Tula.

The "paddle" of the selectors. The top later case piece has a narrower paddle than the others.

The RSB you can see the main differance between the Tula and izzy by the smaller lock hole in the Tula RSB. The later tulas had a bigger lock hole than the machined parts did but it isn't as big as the izzy lock holes.

68 Tula left, 68 izzy middle, and 69 izzy right. The spot above the site leaf is a good place to look on these. The proof marks and the roughness/smoothness is a good indicator of identification. Also notice the site leafs. The Tula on the left has a narrower N and the numbers are more blocky. The 4 on site leafs are the most noticable between Tula and izzy. The right 69 izzy RSB has a nice proof to identification.

Pic of a 70s cast RSB. Notice the nice clear proof mark above the site leaf. Also, the clear triangle proof mark on the site leaf. They don't get much clearer than that.

can you post a pic of the bottom side of the 68 izzy sight leaf?is it flat on the bottom,or uave a chaanel in it.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Most collectors believe the relief cut rear sight leaf was issued on rifles in the 65 to 66 time frame. But with Russian builds there are always exceptions. If there is no hen scratched number on the bottom of the leaf it may be a NOS part or a replacement part installed on an existing rifle.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thought I'd contribute to posterity with pics of a 1975 Tula AKM.
Rectangle Wood Fashion accessory Metal Gun accessory

Refurb marks on both sides of the receiver
Circle proofs by the barrel pin
Auto part Metal Machine Gun accessory Handgun holster

Partial circle proof bottom right RSB. Triangle below left of barrel pin
Wood Tints and shades Eyewear Cable Bumper

Leaf was Izzy.
Wood Bicycle part Gun accessory Metal Cylinder

Bicycle part Carbon Metal Tints and shades Composite material

Proofs on neck of GB
Bicycle part Rim Gadget Office supplies Material property

Triangle on bottom left of GB