AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While watching a video of some dude firing a ton of ammo from an AK 103 in full auto, at about the 500-600 mark in round count he eventually has to start mortaring it to get it to feed the first round of a new magazine. Granted that particular scenario doesn't seem like much of a practical problem, but mortaring itself, might still be, to clear certain malfunctions (though yeah probably not often). So, given the various different stock attachment mechanisms between countries, and different stock types (side folding metal triangle, underfolding metal, fixed wood stock with bolt running through it (ala most fixed stock Yugo's), fixed stock with tangs (most milled AK), AKM style wood fixed stock, etc, etc, what are you guys thoughts on which ones are most prone to damage from frequent mortaring like the russian guy shooting in auto had to do, and which would you expect, or know to be more rugged.

Just off the top, to me the underfolders seem like they'd get damaged more easily with stuff like that. So I assume that's one reason that later soviet models went away from the underfolders? But what about others?

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
If mortaring is required to feed the rifle., I would check the firearm opetating systems or magazines before determining what stock to use for mortaring the firearm.

Mortaring = uncommon and unnatural.
Just my .02.

But I'm not in the habit of firing 500 rounds on succession.

There is a sustained rate of fire for the firearm.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If mortaring is required to feed the rifle., I would check the firearm opetating systems or magazines before determining what stock to use for mortaring the firearm.

Mortaring = uncommon and unnatural.
Just my .02.

But I'm not in the habit of firing 500 rounds on succession.

There is a sustained rate of fire for the firearm.
Yeah, realistically it’s far from a practical concern but I will say the guy went upwards of 1400 rounds if I remember, so he had to hit the stock hard against something upwards of 24 times with it still holding up. That kind of made me wonder how other AK stock configurations would’ve held up. I suppose it’s a good endorsement for that particular plastic stock and I suspect the regular AKM style of stock mounting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts