AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Redhawk .44 magnum yesterday at a local pawnshop. It is blued with a 71/2 inch barrel. It looks almost brand new with just a few barely noticeable handling marks. What a beast! I haven't shot one of these since the late '80's. I plan on getting some Pachmayr Decelerator grips for it and going to the range to have some fun. I paid $400 out the door, which I thought was a pretty good price, considering the gun is like new. I think these retail somewhere in the $750 range. Boy, these revolvers have gotten expensive! Anyone else do any shooting with the .44 mag?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I thought it was a good deal. When I saw it, I knew I had to have it! I have done a lot of business at this shop in the past, which is why they cut me some slack on the price.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have that but in SS. Nice shooter. The decelerator grips is ok. Helps with recoil but I don't think that one I got was made very well. The seam is in front but doesn't meet all the way, so there is a bit of a gap.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blinky said:
I have that but in SS. Nice shooter. The decelerator grips is ok. Helps with recoil but I don't think that one I got was made very well. The seam is in front but doesn't meet all the way, so there is a bit of a gap.
Thanks for the info. I want to replace the Ruger wooden grips, so I will keep my options open and check into some other grip replacements.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I haven't shot one since the late 80's also, but I remember it was a boat load of fun shooting at little swinging steel gongs. It was a Super Redhawk with a red dot scope. Damn that thing was accurate.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kisara said:
I haven't shot one since the late 80's also, but I remember it was a boat load of fun shooting at little swinging steel gongs. It was a Super Redhawk with a red dot scope. Damn that thing was accurate.
I used to own one exactly like the one I just purchased back in the late '80's, and that was the last time that I put any rounds through one. Yes, I do remember it being very accurate. I always liked shooting the Redhawk even though, at the time, I also owned a Smith & Wesson Model 629 with a 6 inch barrel. I always thought the Smith had a better single action let off, but it just seemed more fragile. I had to send the 629 back to Smith & Wesson when the cylinder locked up. This was with less than 200 rounds. The Redhawk, on the other hand, seemed totally indestructible.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vit said:
Good deal. Yeah, check out the Hogue rubber grips.
Hey vit, I saw your Smith & Wesson Model 19-3 snub and it's a beauty! I used to own a 6 inch one and really miss that revolver. I am trying to get some of my favs back that I used to own. That is why I jumped on this Redhawk .44.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to say that I am a .44 FANATIC. They are so much fun to shoot. I have a favorite load that I stumbled on a few years ago and it makes a great practice round: 4 grains Clays powder behind a 240 grain lead semi-wadcutter. Low, low recoil and accurate as can be out of my 7.5" Vaquero. Enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts