AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of these guns, but it's no AK, period. It jams with HP ammo and even with FMJ it has stoppages. Heck, I even tried taping two loaded 30 round mags together and firing it, the trigger group actually loosened and let the mags fall to the ground!

Here is what I am thinking:

Ruger is stupid and made the Mini-30 barrel thin. The reciol spring is right under the barrel. With tons of firing the spring weakened. This would mean that, 1. the bolt doesn't have enough stripping power to chamber a new round effectively each time and 2. the spring doesn't slow the bolt down enough and it's hard slamming into the reciever (which I know is a natural trait of the gun) is loosening up the trigger gaurd and letting it fall free.

My plan is to get a Wolff recoil spring and a Black Jack buffer. The Black Jack buffers are thin enough to allow the BHO to work but thick enough to soften the impact of the carrier into the reciever (not the bolt into the reciever). Wolff springs are supposed to be of better quality.

Any comments or ideas? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
In my opinion.............get rid of it.

Get an AK.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Krinkfreak said:
In my opinion.............get rid of it.

Get an AK.
Have one, a Polytech. Love it. :grin:

I WOULD get rid of it, but, I don't want to just dump a gun on some poor guy who doesn't know what he is doing. It just wouldn't be right.

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
Fix it............then get rid of it........... :wink:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I used to have a Mini30, the dumb thing would sometimes screw up even with factory 5rd mags.
Trade it for an SKS. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I almost traded for one in a swap offer once.

Yep. It looked nice as expected...and every run-o-the-mill SKS cooked off against it stomped the snot out of it.

'Nuff said.

Lollygagger :neutral:

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
Definitely sell it to a guy who's looking for an inexpensive medium range deer rifle, which is what it's meant for.

Then buy another AK...... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've had a Mini-14 and a Mini-30. I love the style, weight, handling qualitys, and the general concept of the guns.

Problem is they are'nt accurate enough for my taste (or at least cosistant), and the lack of quality high caps. Sold both.

If I could get a rifle in the "little M14" style that was as good as an M1A I'd buy it. And in 6.5 Grendel since I'm dreaming. :roll:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
This is really interesting to me as I admired the mini 30 way back when and wanted to get one. But babies have a way of sucking up all the funds.
Maybe that worked out for the best for me afterall.
Now my kids are almost grown and I have some very functional SKS's.
It all worked out.
I had no idea these guns were so problematic.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pros:
1. About 2 pounds lighter than a stamped AK.
2. Longer sight radius, plus ghost ring style sights.
3. Full size stock.

Cons:
1. Better sights don't matter because the barrel is too thin to get accuracy with them.
2. Jam-o-matic.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Pros:
1. About 2 pounds lighter than a stamped AK. Do some pushups.
2. Longer sight radius, plus ghost ring style sights. ..and it still won't shoot for crap
3. Full size stock. Get a longer stock for the AK

Cons:
1. Better sights don't matter because the barrel is too thin to get accuracy with them.
2. Jam-o-matic.
3. No decent magazines
4. Factory Hicap? What's that?
5. Factory spare parts? Hello, Mr. Ruger?
6. You might as well ride a moped with a fat chick on the back when when your friends on the AK board hear you have a mini-30.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Ruger also has a longer barrel which technically means higher velocity. The weight reduction is a big deal to people who have to lug it through the woods for miles and miles in the mountains. I am not military so I do not get used to it.

Not trying to defend the Ruger, I have shot the AK and Ruger side by side and the Ruger is really a POS. I was just hoping to get something out of it... I hate selling guns because no matter how shitty it is you will always miss it somewhat.

If you want factory made spare parts, contact Numrich Gun Parts. The parts are made by Ruger and although Ruger doesn't like it you can buy whatever you need there.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Ruger has a swageing throat, it can shoot Wolf or Barnaul 7.62x39mm ammo without danger.

I have two SKSs, and an AK. I know they are great weapons.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't have a Mini 30 but a mini 14. I bought it back in the 85 used. It was praboly built in the early 80's. It has fired several thousand rnds and never had a hick up. Eveb with after market mags. It is about as accurate as an adverage stamped AK. Im like Q-gunner2 , I rarely ever sell anything I buy. It has been a good rifle. While not my first choice .... but light and handy....... WarDawg

·
Registered
25 Posts
xcibes said:
I have heard the mini14 are nice, but I have not heard anything good about the mini30, that's why I never bought one even though I was going to.
Nah... the Mini 14 is not really any better than the 30. The 14 pretty much suffers from the same problems. The only thing helping out the 14 is you can actually get good factory high caps

1 - 20 of 25 Posts