AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need some info on the Ruger mini 14's. I had someone ask me about the mini 14's today and I had no info for him. I did some checking and found that there is the "new" version and the "old" version. What the heck is the difference and which one is better. I also noticed on Gunbroker that they list the older models by telling you the 1st 3 serial numbers, ie. 182 or 185 and so on. Why is this? Also I found that there is a LEO version with the bayo lug, are these worth the extra money? Or should he just go with a new Rancher all weather model and be done with it?

Sorry for all the questions but I know someone here knows the answers.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Go with the Ranch. It comes with the scope mounts made onto the receiver. My best friend has one and it's a rockin little gun... I want one so bad I can taste it...

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
Get a AR15.

I have run out of fingers and toes counting how many times I have seen Mini-14 owners dump a ton of money into one to first make reliable, and then getting marginal accuracy at best.

I am sure the exception to the rule crowd will show up but they are a statistical anomaly.

Hootbro

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hootbro said:
Get a AR-15.

I have run out of fingers and toes counting how many times I have seen Mini-14 owners dump a ton of money into one to first make reliable, and then getting marginal accuracy at best.

Hootbro
+1

I had two stainless Mini-14 GBs with the factory folding stock (the police version with the bayonet lug). These were relible but not accurate. I sold them both and never looked back. I would not recommend this gun to anyone.

Nu2AKSKS

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The newer ones have heavier bbl's to address the accuracy issue. There is also a *target* model now with an adjustable harmonic dampener. Can't vouch for them, as I haven't shot one.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a NRA Special Edition Mini 14 with the new heavier barrel. It is a nice rifle. The barrel is 16 inches and the rifle came with two Ruger 20 round mags. Check one out...... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I traded off my Mini-14 to help fund my first AR-15. Much as I liked my Ruger, I've never regretted the trade. The Mini-14 was reliable enough, but the accuracy wasn’t anything to write home about. If I happen to stumble across a great deal on another one, I might pick it up, but I’ve been more than happy with my Bushmaster! :grin:

On the other hand, I just picked up my 2nd AR tonight – a nice Armalite M-4gery! Sweet! :dance:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Bought my stainless ranch rifle for 2 reasons: 1) to help a friend out of some money troubles, and 2) because I couldn't afford an AR. After I got my AR I never picked the Mini-14 up except to move it around. If all you need is average accuracy, then it will be OK. Can't say about the new ones.
They used to be "the poor man's AR15" but I'm not so sure that's true anymore ... I haven't seen any cheap stainless ones in a long time.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hootbro said:
Get a AR15.

I am sure the exception to the rule crowd will show up but they are a statistical anomaly.

Hootbro
He already has a AR-15. He just really wants to add to his collection. I talked to him later and he was more interested in the rancher all weather.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Mini 14

I ended up getting a Panther Lite 16 instead of a Mini 14. I keep hearing how inaccurate they are but something inside me just wants one to know for myself. But if I can't hit a coyote at 100-200 yds it ain't for me...

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
My first sport utility rifle was a Ruger Mini-14 Stainless.

I cut the barrel down to 16" and added a choate flash suppressor/winged front sight. I was a senior in high school, and it was a fun rifle.

Accurate enough for what I wanted it for, and reliable with Ruger 20 round mags.

If you already have some other rifles like AK's and AR's, sure...get one.

The new models like Mike's are supposedly light years ahead of the older models.

Besides.....you can't be arguing with B.A. Baracus!

:twisted:

·
Registered
727 Posts
You can expect about 4 to 5 in groups at 100 yards. Its a good self defense carbine for 150 yards, if it runs OK. The factory mags are best, the 20s are available and they used to make 30s.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an older Mini from around '82 and a Ranch rifle from around '90. Both run fine, not the most accurate. But then again, Ruger will tell you they are not tack drivers, just plinking guns. Good to stop something at short range, but over targets over 150 yds I wouldn't pick it for a primary weapon.
I have 5 ARs for accuracy when I want it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm the crowd that will tell you I have NEVER had a stoppage in my Mini 14 Ranch 187 series. About 1500 rounds threw it. It will work with ammo that will NOT cycle an AR15. Been there and done that. It is about a 4MOA rifle. It's a fun little rifle also.
The AR is a better rifle. The AR is also better than an AK IMO. But the Mini has a place in the collection . WarDawg

·
Super Moderator
10,312 Posts
bullet3z said:
He already has a AR-15. He just really wants to add to his collection. I talked to him later and he was more interested in the rancher all weather.
His money and he can do whatever he wants with it.

I would be lying if I said I never bought a gun I knew was going to bring grief and trouble, thinking I would be the exception.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I got my mini in 1982. It is very reliable with good mags, no non-magazine failures in 26 years but yeah, the accuracy is not the best once the barrel gets hot. It is still a pretty handy little rifle for close in. It is my "trunk" gun on the highway. I wouldn't buy another one but I will keep this one.

·
Registered
900 Posts
FWIW, the Ruger website can supply you with the general date of manufacture of your rifle if you know your serial #.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts