·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow I managed to grab this on the last day of the year

I've wanted one for a while, and I found this one at a great price

wpid-20131231_172807-1_wm.jpg

wpid-20131231_172918_wm.jpg

I am wondering if anyone has any info on how they do with the various ammo choices out there?

Any issues with these I should be aware of?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I still have one i bought in 1992 new, Davidsons was the distributor that contracted ruger to make them for them, they shoot very good but beware ! steel cased ammo has harder primers than american made brass cased which can cause the rife not to hit the primer hard enough to fire it ! all mine did it ! also ruger pulled a cute trick on barrels !!! it tapers or chokes from .311 dia at the chamber down to .307 dia. at the muzzle, i know this because i have owned 3 of the M77's and still own one and a ruger No# 1 (K1A in 762x39) and have cast the barrels and they all were appox the same give or take a thousands ! and shoots .308 dia bullets very good if you are a handloader hope this helps.

·
Registered
476 Posts
As stated above the bore size hurts their accuracy a bit when used with mil-surp (which is why I switched to the CZ527), both of my 77's never did better than 3-5moa with it. Otherwise a fine high quality rifle, enjoy :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had one of these since 1991 and it is a hoot to shoot. I've shot Hansen, Privi, Winchester, Lapua & custom loads from the old Maine cartridge company loaded with Hornady V-Max and Georgia Arms loaded with Sierra 125 gr ballistic tip bullets(.308). If I did my part & was having a good day at the range any of these loads would cut a ragged one hole group from a rest at 100.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I love the "boat paddle" stocks!! I wish they would bring them back! Nice looking rig...I am a little jealous.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've liked mine. Initially I had to send it back to Ruger for head spacing and at the time they replaced the firing pin too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've liked mine. Initially I had to send it back to Ruger for head spacing and at the time they replaced the firing pin too.

cool, did you do this recently?
Think they will still do this work on mine (if it needs it)?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
cool, did you do this recently?
Think they will still do this work on mine (if it needs it)?
It was under a year from new, purchase years ago. At the time, I bought the Warsaw headspace gauges and tested all of my AK builds, factory guns, then all of my friends AKs within a day or two every single one was tested. It was least two dozen guns that were good to go. A group of us were all sitting around in a large BS session and jokingly pulled my Mk2 bolt apart and put in the "no-go" and the bolt closed.:eek: It taught me a good lesson, you never know until you test it with the gauge.

There is some thought that the guns that go in and come back from repair are better having trained eyes and hands looking it over. Assuming of course that the smith is competent.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Lucky you. I have been looking for one with the paddle/wood stock for ages. If you get tired of it let me know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts