AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice on re-welding the receiver on my '88 RPK74 kit with the back half of a Vepr receiver (see pics below) would this be a more accurate or better representation than using an NDS-8?

Also, should I leave the scope rail or is it not correct? If not, I will remove it. IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1077.JPG

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
683 Posts
Welding a stamped receiver would be very difficult. Assuming the metal didn't burn through, it would also draw out the heat treating.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been trying to Find a Vepr side rail for my Vepr parts kit, I can tell you the Vepr rail isn't correct for the Rpk-74, they look different, the front half isn't opened up on the inside of the dovetail on the RPK-74 plus the Vepr rail is missing the middle rivet.
This is the style you need RMP2 - Collector's  Source   DFW
As to welding, warpage, heat treat , & your x,y,z dims. being square on would be my concerns, you would have to use a fabbed jig with an aluminum heat sinks shaped like the inside & outside front of the receiver including the bulges to draw the heat out just like endoh stated..
ak-builder makes a RPK-74 flat which I have an extra if your interested, that matches pretty well "no mag dimples & the both have long ejector on the rail so will fit .223 with minor filing, I'm going to use his RPK-47 flat since I'm using Wieger mags & the canis M4 mag adapter on my Vepr rebuild.. His RPK-74 flat fits the Vepr .223 mags perfect.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I thought the Vepr rail was different, I just can't find an RMP2. If anyone has one they want to sell, I would pay top dollar, send me a PM.
I have a couple of the AKB RPK-74 flats, the problem is that they are not straight, if you put a straight edge along the top it rocks. It's enough to throw off the action of the bolt and I won't use them. I think there is a flaw in how the bulged sections are stamped. If you look at a bent flat, you will see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's good news, then I guess we're both looking for some receivers then.
I talked to Tom at 74ullc today, He says he still plans on doing the RPK74 receivers, but he's so busy it's a matter of when, I talked to Nodak also & they said they won't make any more until more kits come in to the country?? They do have "thanks to AKblue's heads up" the Y556 Receiver's on sale for blems, I wonder if the mag dimple could be filled?
A NDS-8 just sold on gb yesterday, I bidded on it, but it went for way to much.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
IN no way would I do a reweld like that..... I hope you didnt cut that vepr front end off

·
Registered
143 Posts
I sent an email to a company that makes nice 80% 1.6mm ak receiver blanks, that they machine the top rails, cut the pistol grip hole & magwell out, any ways I told them about the rpk74 receiver vacuum, I'm waiting for a response back.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IN no way would I do a reweld like that..... I hope you didnt cut that vepr front end off
Why, you wouldn't sacrifice a Vepr for a pristine virgin RPK74?

Just kidding (kind of), I got the back half with some kits I purchased.

I'm sure a skilled welder can do the job since it's a 1.6mm receiver.

What I would like some input on from the experts is whether or not it would be more desirable to have an all russian receiver (assuming a pro re-weld job) or to use an NDS-8.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I am saying even with a pro weld up that gun would be a widow maker.... its your face. I am working on a vepr conversion to a rpk-74 that should look great

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I am saying even with a pro weld up that gun would be a widow maker.... its your face. I am working on a vepr conversion to a rpk-74 that should look great
I dont think it would be a widow maker since the trunnion holds the bolt against the pressure and the rails are just a guide. I have seen Good tig welders do wonders way beyond what you are doing so I believe with the right person and lots of patience you can do this. A welder with U.A. pipe fitter certs for welding exotic metals (AK not exotic) would have the metallurgy knowledge and skill to regulate the temperatures and weld it together and avoide warping and burning the carbon out of the steel. Ask around and check with your local Union pipe fitter hall and ask if they know an out of work Gun fanatic golden arm pipe welder that might want a challenge.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I dont think it would be a widow maker since the trunnion holds the bolt against the pressure and the rails are just a guide. I have seen Good tig welders do wonders way beyond what you are doing so I believe with the right person and lots of patience you can do this. A welder with U.A. pipe fitter certs for welding exotic metals (AK not exotic) would have the metallurgy knowledge and skill to regulate the temperatures and weld it together and avoide warping and burning the carbon out of the steel. Ask around and check with your local Union pipe fitter hall and ask if they know an out of work Gun fanatic golden arm pipe welder that might want a challenge.
I would contact TIM at Two Rivers Arms and get his input on this.....If anyone would know if it is safe to do it's him.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Or try Turbothis here on the boards he does a lot of the milled receiver re-welds.
With an American receiver you won't have the 922 compliance issues, with an all Russian receiver you will have to do the US made parts count to comply.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Why, you wouldn't sacrifice a Vepr for a pristine virgin RPK74?

Just kidding (kind of), I got the back half with some kits I purchased.

I'm sure a skilled welder can do the job since it's a 1.6mm receiver.

What I would like some input on from the experts is whether or not it would be more desirable to have an all russian receiver (assuming a pro re-weld job) or to use an NDS-8.
I think I have the rest of the Vepr left over from your receiver kit..lol I bought it off of gb from I-D on there.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
I haven't seen many stamped receiver rewelds. And what I have seen were rather crude or suspect.
But if you have the skills and the parts., go for it. Not many sections laying around., but that Vepr might be the one to give it a whirl.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts