AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a kit and receiver on gunbroker goin for quite a bit and it got me wondering, why is it there were so few brought it? I'm thinking maybe its still a relatively new and still used piece of military equipment that the countries haven't started selling off?

·
Super Moderator
10,329 Posts
Saw a kit and receiver on gunbroker goin for quite a bit and it got me wondering, why is it there were so few brought it? I'm thinking maybe its still a relatively new and still used piece of military equipment that the countries haven't started selling off?
A standard Warsaw Pact infantry squad is 8-13 depending on division type. Only one guy is issued a RPK, one a RPG, one a SVD and the remainder a AK. So at best, there is a 10-1 ratio of AK's to RPK's.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Saw a kit and receiver on gunbroker
Do you have a link? I've searched, but can't find it. I have a kit that I bought from Ohio Rapid Fire back in the day. It looks a Russian that was remarked as Bulgarian.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Do you have a link? I've searched, but can't find it. I have a kit that I bought from Ohio Rapid Fire back in the day. It looks a Russian that was remarked as Bulgarian.

Probably is russian

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hold out I see RPK-74 rifles come up on the forum for cheaper than what they are asking for a kit.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I remember reading on here the problem has to do with not many countries adopting them. Off the top of my head (so correct me if I'm wrong) Russia, Bulgaria, Romania, and East Germany made them. The Bulgarian ones were mostly or completely Molot sourced, the Romanian ones haven't been exported, and the EG ones weren't made in large numbers. So unless Russian laws change, Bulgaria finds more and cuts em up, or Romania starts exporting em, I doubt many more will come in. It's been awhile since I read up on this though so hopefully I'm not posting bad info.

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
The question is why aren't Romanian 5.45 rpk's coming in. We have century arms bring all the cugir stuff. I don't see why they dot just bring them in. I'd buy one.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
That actually makes most sense. Sadly though I don't think Russian AK's will ever really be imported...unless someone on the forum runs for POTUS and changes it.
Yep. There was an really great thread on this stuff when all the rguns kits came in. Basically the nations that have surplus Russian stuff in unissued condition are countries we probably can't import stuff from. Bulgaria is one we can, but they have to be running dry by now or pretty damn close. I dug up a long response from Doug on this topic, really was gold (as usual from him). I think this relates to why I'm not holding my breath for a batch of RPK74s- http://www.theakforum.net/forums/29...-soviet-ak-74-matching-kit-3.html#post1045980

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
The question is why aren't Romanian 5.45 rpk's coming in. We have century arms bring all the cugir stuff. I don't see why they dot just bring them in. I'd buy one.
Can't find the thread in a quick search, but I think it has to do with it being current issue why they don't export them. The one thing I do remember for sure is it wasn't a lack of trying on our end to get them.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Sadly though I don't think Russian AK's will ever really be imported
What about Vepr's and Saiga's? There not exactly military configuration, but some are pretty close.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

Its not "going for quite a bit" if there are no bids.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Too damn high. You could buy one of the .223 RPK sidefolder imports and convert to 5.45 for that price.
I don't know about that. The barrel and bolt alone would run you around $500. Might even need a new carrier, not sure of the differences. Then the conversion costs, re-finish, shipping etc. You could probably do it for around $2500 but it would be a Bulgarian barreled Russian. I'd rather just keep it in 5.56 given the dictator in chief deciding what he will allow and not allow into the country at whim.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I don't know about that. The barrel and bolt alone would run you around $500. Might even need a new carrier, not sure of the differences. Then the conversion costs, re-finish, shipping etc. You could probably do it for around $2500 but it would be a Bulgarian barreled Russian. I'd rather just keep it in 5.56 given the dictator in chief deciding what he will allow and not allow into the country at whim.

Still have build costs with the $2400 kit. Then you have a bulgarian kit with a USA receiver. I would question that if most of the Bulgarian RPK kits were scrubbed out molots to begin with, then are the bulgarian barrels KVAR is selling molot barrels?

I'll post my results when my conversion is done.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I would question that if most of the Bulgarian RPK kits were scrubbed out molots to begin with, then are the bulgarian barrels KVAR is selling molot barrels?
If I remember correctly, most of the Bulgarian RPK kits were sold by Ohio Rapid Fire.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Bluejack has one, till has about 1/3rd of the molot stamp on it

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You can still see part of the Molot stamp on mine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts