AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference with the RPK sling as opposed to a standared AKM sling? Does anyone have Pic's to show a comparison?

Death Merchant

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Stottman said:
There are a few different ones out there.. I know both the Bulgarians and E.Germans used a distictive sling with pad, similar in concept to a US Mil M60 sling vs. Rifle sling.
Wasn't the padded version for the RPK-74?

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
SVT said:
Stottman said:
There are a few different ones out there.. I know both the Bulgarians and E.Germans used a distictive sling with pad, similar in concept to a US Mil M60 sling vs. Rifle sling.
Wasn't the padded version for the RPK-74?
Like everything, nobody really knows.. Since the Bulgarians never fully replaced 7.62x39 anyway, it would still be correct for an RPK.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Rob I think the Russians may have the padded sling too. The reason I guess this is because of the Chechen that is using one on his 74. The sling looks to be the Russian yellow/khaki tan color and the leather color looks right too.

I guess when we found this pic a few years ago we were oogling at the weapons/mags and not the sling. Just noticed the sling a few weeks ago.

But as you say we may never know. He could have simply taken the pad off and added it to an existing AK sling.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
SturmGrenadier said:
Rob I think the Russians may have the padded sling too. The reason I guess this is because of the Chechen that is using one on his 74. The sling looks to be the Russian yellow/khaki tan color and the leather color looks right too.

I guess when we found this pic a few years ago we were oogling at the weapons/mags and not the sling. Just noticed the sling a few weeks ago.

But as you say we may never know. He could have simply taken the pad off and added it to an existing AK sling.
Chad-

I will ask around.. See what I can find.

Rob

·
Registered
254 Posts
SturmGrenadier said:

Hello,

just working trough the old posts as a newbe here and wonder if this was correct - okay for the padded sling, but is this really a RPK74?? Check the receiver - I would say its an AKS74 and not a RPK

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
MT-LB said:
SturmGrenadier said:

Hello,

just working trough the old posts as a newbe here and wonder if this was correct - okay for the padded sling, but is this really a RPK74?? Check the receiver - I would say its an AKS74 and not a RPK

Good point my friend. I still need one of those slings. :smile:

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
MT-LB said:
SturmGrenadier said:

Hello,

You are correct. Triangular folder, standard 74 receiver, and the biggest clue - grenade launcher... :wink:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
First welcome MT-LB! As others have stated yes it is a AKS-74 but don't think anything was said about the rifle being a RPK just the use of a RPK-74 sling being used on his 74.

The poor Chechen look like he could weigh 125lbs soaking wet. Not as strapping as those two monsters behind him. Sure humping that GP-25 and 45 round mag around gets to wear on him. So he added the sling with a pad to help out on that teenage shoulder.

Second, Dutchkma you bastage!!! :razz: Great find man. Good to see somebody in the fold acquired one. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Most all the times I have seen that pad in use was on the pkm's in pictures of Russian troops. Like anything else over there, I'm sure you will see it used where ever they can.

To me, all the slings look to be the same for most of the weapons (AKM type) meaning the slings used on AKM's, 74's, PKM's and SVD's.

Brick

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
looks like the guy behind him liked it so much he put one on his PSL. My Bulgy RPK74 kit came with the standard green bulgy sling, including the pad. Another RPK74 i have has the wide/heavy tan colored sling of unknown (Russian??) origin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts