AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tried to build there own RPK from a kit? Can it be done? I have a 12 ton press and a xbec jig but I would assume that riveting the trunion to the receiver would be a pain because of the location of the rivets and the hump on trunion..

Thanks
HK

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
i built a PSL from a kit, same rivet pattern as RPK. I used a plinker jig. as i remember, all i had to do was figure out how to properly support the receiver, that was the only hard part.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about pressing the barrel back into the trunion? I thought that would be a big problem...

Thanks
HK

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
no, your 12 ton is just fine. you need to get an assortment of steel stock. 1" blocks, 3/4" blocks, 1/", 1/4", etc. you can use these to support the trunnion while pressing in and out. get 2 of each size. when you're ready to press the barrel back in, lightly sand inside the trunnion and outside the barrel mating surface with some emory cloth. you don't want to remove metal, just get rid of 30 years gunk and grime. get some copper based anti seize lubricant, it's very slick. apply very lightly (as in you almost can't see it) to the inside trunnion, barrel, pin, and barrel pin hole. a little goes a long way. your barrel will press in easily. i usually set mine about 1/4" in with a large deadblow hammer. make sure everything is straight. you can rotate your barrel left and right once started using a 3/4" open end wrench on the front gas block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts