AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question in the build it yourself forum but no replies. I have a SAR 1 and removed the front sight and gas block so I can have a bayonet lug and threaded muzzle. I bought a Romanian gas block with bayonet lug from K-Var and I need to know what size drill bit I need to drill the two holes for the pins. I'm guessing a 1/16 (1.59mm) bit and use a drill press???

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
In Range says the factory size is 3mm.

If you have to drill them oversize, use 1/8 pin.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Krinkfreak said:
In Range says the factory size is 3mm.

If you have to drill them oversize, use 1/8 pin.
Krink your saying the bit size is 3mm right? I seen something on Red Star Arms site saying the same thing for doing the gas piston thanks!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I use a standard size bit. I dont remember which size right now but it doesn't matter because I fabricate my own pins out of a nail. Find a drill bit that comes close to the size of the hole. When I get finished no one can tell the diffrence and the price is right. I wouldn't sweat really small details like trying to find a 3mm drill bit. Just go for it and make it work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
steelcore1964 said:
I use a standard size bit. I dont remember which size right now but it doesn't matter because I fabricate my own pins out of a nail. Find a drill bit that comes close to the size of the hole. When I get finished no one can tell the diffrence and the price is right. I wouldn't sweat really small details like trying to find a 3mm drill bit. Just go for it and make it work.
steelcore yeah I did I got a 2.8mm bit but my father inlaw is a union steamfitter and is taking it to work today and he said they probally have one in the shop and he's going to do it for me. He works in the shop as a fabricator so I'm sure he will get it right, plus I gave him the old gas block too see what the hole size should be. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts