AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say, the wife and I love shooting this thing. It is a blast to shoot, and totally reliable.
The problem, it beats the be-jesus out of my cheekbone.
Can you recommend a different stock that might help?
Thanks
avery

·
Registered
812 Posts
?? Not really.. I've never noticed any noticeably hard recoil from an AKM. Either something is wrong with your weapon or you need to Shoulder that weapon...soldier

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
It has something to do with something. My first G build did that and I posted on here asking if I screwed something up. I took it apart, looked it over, it was fine, put it back together, it never happened again. Weird...

It may be a problem with how you installed the buttstock or with the angle of the rear trunnion or the way you're holding the rifle... I'd bet the latter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I shoot many other milsurps much larger than this with no cheek bustin'.
It does the same thing to my wife.
I did notice the stock is not totally flush with the receiver, on the top.
Maybe that slight angle change has something to do with it.
We can shoot the SKS's all day with no problem, so it's not due to heavy recoil, just the way it fits my face.
It is a Lancaster build, not one I did myself.
555th, you sound like my old DI. :grin:
Thanks
avery

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
avery53 said:
First let me say, the wife and I love shooting this thing. It is a blast to shoot, and totally reliable.
Thanks
avery
Ive got a romy thats beats the crap out of my face...Im thinking a weaker recoil spring..

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
ak_nut said:
avery53 said:
Thanks
avery
Ive got a romy thats beats the crap out of my face...Im thinking a weaker recoil spring..
damn man.i never thought of that.it would make sense tho.i bet with a weak spring,the bc would kick the shit out of the rear trunnion.avery-can you get a pic of the rear trunnion?is there a defined wear mark from the back of the bc ans bolt??

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
If a rear trunnion wears or gets dented just from a weak recoil spring... it will be shattered within 1,000 rounds on an AK in normal condition.

The recoil spring could be the culprit, but you won't be able to SEE it. You can feel it, if your AK is too easy to cycle, or just swap springs to see if that helps... BUT... I am willing to bet that isn't the problem. Recoil springs don't wear out easy. I know of one AK where the spring wasn't changed even after 30,000 rounds...

My problem had something to do with either how I held the rifle or how it fit into the rifle. I cannot be sure, as it simply was gone the next time I went shooting with the rifle. HOWEVER... feeling pain from shooting a gun doesn't have to do with recoil. For instance, Yugo fixed stock rifles hurt my cheek because of the higher comb of the buttstock... I can't get a good cheek weld and I have to modify my hold to use it right. You may have the same problem with an AK buttstock.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Try a AK-74 type muzzle break made for 7.62x39 AK-47 rifles.

Tapco makes them $21.00.

It will tame the muzzle lift & the recoil you will love the big difference I did. :jiggy:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, took it apart again and found a couple of things.
First it came with a recoil buffer, and about 3 coils of the spring are rusted off.
Seems Lancaster never checked the spring during rebuild. :mad:
Guess the best thing is to find a new spring and give that a try.
Anyone know a good place to buy one.
Thanks
avery

·
Registered
973 Posts
Try contacting Lancaster about it. If you bought the rifle new, you shouldn't have a rusted recoil spring. I would definately ask for a replacement recoil spring.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Apex has in stock now :

Recoil spring $3.00

The whole recoil sping assembly $10.00

AK-74 type Muzzle break made in U.S.A. and made to fit your 7.62x39
AK-47 For $20.00

www.apexgunparts.com

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
XTRM1NATR said:
Try contacting Lancaster about it. If you bought the rifle new, you shouldn't have a rusted recoil spring. I would definately ask for a replacement recoil spring.
+1 Have them send you one!

T :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts